Breakthrough infections generate ‘super immunity’ to COVID-19, study suggests

People who have been vaccinated and then get covid have an enhanced immune response against future bouts of covid and against variants, according to this study.

If this holds true, the co-author of the study surmises that this will be how the pandemic ends when enough people get vaccinated and then get a breakthrough infection. Then they’ll be immune from future variants.

Breakthrough infections generate ‘super immunity’ to COVID-19, study suggests

1 Like

Interesting … :thinking:

1 Like

Does this mean that we shouldn’t actually be getting boosters, but ought to be trying to catch covid instead?

In my case this must be true. Triple vaccinated after catching it early March '20 and just by chance a home test showed that at the time I was infected with C-19 and so was my wife but neither of us displayed any symptoms at all. So we somehow caught it again, but without any ill effects … how many others have been or are now the same?

1 Like

Considering people can still die from breakthrough infections, this would not be my strategy. But I’m sure it happens inadvertently all the time.

I don’t like to play games of chance with my life when death is one of the options if I don’t have to.

Especially with all the advances coming out with antivirals and more research every day, taking a chance with one’s life at this point intentionally would not be my choice.

1 Like

Hope eternal. :grinning:

If everyone in the world could be vaccinated.

That would be ideal, but since that’s not feasible, there would still be an easing since the people who have super immunity wouldn’t have to deal with future variants.

The fear was that this epidemic would keep going, fueled by variants that were vaccine resistant. But if anyone can become variant resistant, then that at least lowers the risk for some percentage of the population.

Early days but I saw a news report that the omicron variant does not damage the lungs as much as previous variants.

I found a couple articles about it, but I don’t understand what they mean. It says that it causes less severe disease and more severe disease both within 3 paragraphs, so I’m not sure how to interpret that. It does though, say that it causes less severe disease in the lungs.

1 Like

Thanks for this informative and reassuring article. Probably why they say there is that scratchy throat symptom with this variant. But if it doesn’t feel so much at home in the lungs then there is hope that Omicron will also not be as likely as the original infection to attack vital organs and other parts of the body.

From a viral point of view its definition of success is in replicating and transmitting to new hosts rather than being more damaging to the body.

1 Like