Braverman, UK Home Secretary - personal speeding course claim - Update - Sunak decides not to order inquiry

Quite … some managers think that their position is far too important for minions … :wink:

It’s a punishment, though, isn’t it?

So someone whinging that they don’t have time to fit it into their busy schedule doesn’t really cut it?

No one would expect to get away with saying going to prison for a different crime didn’t fit in with their schedule! :rofl:

Using their valuable free time or annual leave or having to make up the time at work to cover what they’ve missed is surely part of the punishment? We don’t get punished at our own convenience

The alternative is taking your licks in the form of a fine and points, which people like less, mostly out of fear of getting more points in the future and banned

So she thought she’d find time to do the course privately and dodge the points but when she found out she’d have to do it with the peasants she realised she didn’t have time after all? :rofl:

It’s not a big deal and I don’t think it does warrant an enquiry but I do think it reveals exactly what type of person she is and her sense of self-importance

Hope the points will teach her a bit of a lesson to watch her speed and this publicity will help too

1 Like

I don’t think speeding is classed as a criminal offence Maree. Therefore the bit about re-allocating your prison sentence doesn’t really apply…
:red_car:

3 Likes

In a legal sense, speeding isn’t automatically dangerous, but it may be careless. Dangerous driving is a far more serious offence for which you can go to prison.

1 Like

It is not Foxy, but something about this whole ‘story line’ doesn’t add up for me. SB is and was previously a government minister and therefore she would have an official car at her disposal AND at least one close protection bodyguard (maybe more) always at her side. Now this is where it seems wrong to me as it was she who was nabbed for speeding and not her official driver or bodyguard. Since April 2015, when SO1 merged with SO14 to form the then new RaSP, Ministers were always provided with maximum protection at all times, and yet she was done for exceeding the 50MPH limit, not her driver or her bodyguard :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sunak resists calls for inquiry into Braverman speeding course claims

The prime minister declined to say whether he would be ordering an inquiry, when asked about the story at the G7 summit in Japan earlier. Speaking at a news conference, he also declined to say he backed her - but a Downing Street source later said that “of course” he did.

“I don’t know the full details of what has happened, nor have I spoken to the home secretary,” Mr Sunak said. “But I understand she has expressed regret for speeding, accepted the penalty and paid the fine.”

The prime minister apparently did not know anything about what happened until the story broke in the Sunday Times.

Conservative cabinet member Therese Coffey said she knew no more about it than what she had read in the papers.

Braverman’s got “previous”

After serving as attorney general between February 2020 and September 2022, Mrs Braverman was promoted to home secretary under Liz Truss. She resigned on October 19 after sending an official document from a personal email to a backbench MP - describing it as a “technical infringement of the rules”. But she was reappointed to the same role by Mr Sunak six days later following the collapse of the Truss government.

It’s still something you’ve done wrong and you get punished for though, isn’t it?

So it is like a prison sentence in that it’s a punishment

It’s supposed to be inconvenient and unpleasant, to correct your behaviour, so you can’t expect to dictate the time, nature and location of that punishment to suit yourself, your job or your lifestyle

1 Like

I have never had a speeding ticket so I am not that well informed about the different options but my understanding was that the Speed Awareness Course is Not a Punishment but a Re-education tool, to help people become more aware of why it’s important to obey the Speed Limit.

I thought the idea was to encourage folk to take the re-education Speed Awareness course to avoid the punishment of having points put on their Driving Licence and avoid the Fixed Penalty (although I don’t how this amount compares to the Fee for the Course) and teach them to be better drivers in future.
If they want to encourage people to take the course and be re-educated, why would they want to make it inconvenient and unpleasant?

I’ve never had any points on my licence but I understand that affects one’s insurance premiums, so I can see that paying the fine and taking the points is a punishment, if you refuse the option of being re-educated.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, I see what you mean

But it’s technicalities really

You’ve done something wrong and are therefore need correcting!

You can choose to get re-educated to escape fine, points and higher premiums.

In other words, opt to get off light, and hopefully learn the error of your ways :rofl:

But it’s still a penalty, correctly imposed and really people should be grateful that lighter option is on offer

So whinging about it not fitting into your busy schedule, having to use up annual leave, free time or having to make up the hours at work or having to do it among the peasants is missing the point, really

Do the crime, do the time!

(Even if it’s not technically a criminal offence :wink:)

Rishi Sunak to meet ethics adviser over Suella Braverman speeding claims

It’s all a load of old cobblers!
Suella has made some very outspoken remarks about what we should be doing with our illegal and legal immigrants. She has rattled some very influential peoples cages and they are not happy and want her out. So they use these stupid none consequential wrongs - dramatised and rammed down our throats day in and day out by the media, to set the everyday person against them.
It’s happened before with Boris and Truss. Regardless whether you like Boris and/or Truss or not, and even if you believe they were in the wrong…The media and the people behind this manipulating of politicians can not be allowed to continue or else you might as well tear up your voting cards because democracy is just an illusion…

4 Likes

If you think anyone takes any notice of the ‘Speed Awareness Course’ Boot you don’t know most drivers.
I can guarantee that every driver on this site has broken the law by speeding at some point during their journeys. Whether it was because you weren’t aware of the speed limit, or because the other traffic was driving slightly over the speed limit and you just followed my leader and didn’t want to hold up the other drivers, or you just thought that driving at 35 in a 30mph limit was safe enough, or you just didn’t see the signs, or were fiddling about with your radio, phone,sat nav, or trying to make sense of a modern dashboard that looks more like the bridge of the starship enterprise.
Some people deliberately speed for whatever reason, and it’s these who cause accidents and kill or maim other people, and most of the time they don’t get caught, they don’t observe or care what the limit is in a quest to get where they want to be as fast as possible.

In my 56 years of driving I have had 3 speeding tickets. Once when I was a spotty faced teenager who loved speed. 90mph in a sixty zone…The result was 3 points and I can’t remember how much the fine was. Probably about £20. The second was back in 2006 when I was a courier, caught out by a concealed camera van. 70mph in a 50mph zone. It was a duel carriageway that was rated at 70mph the week before, although I should have seen the new signs. And the last time was in 2012 again by a concealed camera van on a road that had been changed from 40mph to 30mph the week before. I was caught doing 38mph.

I don’t consider my offences as being too bad when you consider that for twenty years I made my living driving around the country as a courier. And now I still spend a greater part of my life driving. Most people are unlucky who get caught speeding marginally over the limit. New lower speed limits are everywhere as residents complain of speeding drivers zooming through their quiet little villages, and there are plenty of hidden camera vans waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting driver. As our roads get more crowded they are justified, but the speeders who are the most dangerous just don’t care and the most likely to cause accidents.

The speeding awareness courses cost about £90 so you still pay, but then you just have to sit through a course that teaches you what you already know, but were just unlucky on the day.
Because some people have already accrued 9 points, it saves them being banned. The excess insurance cost me about a tenner extra a year for three years. It was worth it not to waste a day sitting in a classroom being bored to death…Lifes too short!
:sunglasses:

You’re right about that. I don’t know most drivers who get speeding tickets.
Most of my friends and family are as law abiding as I am! :innocent:

In my 40+ years of driving, I’ve never had a speeding ticket - and with the car I have now it’s so easy to set a max speed limit so I can concentrate on the road instead of worrying about whether I’m going a mile or two over the limit.

1 Like

Why am I not surprised by that boot…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Because if our first past the post system democracy in this country is indeed an illusion. Because of where I live I may as well tear up my voting card because I can’t ever make any difference with my vote

Perhaps media exposing the truth about politicians and removing them by exposing there misdeeds to public opinion is more democratic?

1 Like

The trouble with that Maree is that you are making the media very powerful. Most people have done summat wrong and can be victims of intimidation and blackmail.

3 Likes

If you’ve done something wrong I don’t think you can call yourself a victim if you get outed on it though?

And you can only be intimidated and blackmailed if you try to cover it up :woman_shrugging:

Best to fess up, apologise and show some humility and let others decide if your positive attributes are enough to making you worth knowing or voting for

Because we’ve all screwed up people are usually fairly forgiving

1 Like

(video)

Home secretary Suella Braverman has been asked whether she asked civil servants for advice on arranging a private speed awareness course, after being caught speeding in 2022.

… but she won’t answer the question

I think she has answered it .
She’s the Secretary of State I think she could have been accommodated actually she must have better things to do with her time that sitting on the naughty step with other miscreants .

2 Likes

No, she hasn’t.