Braverman, UK Home Secretary - personal speeding course claim - Update - Sunak decides not to order inquiry

I just find it so trivial when you consider the many more very important things that the government should be spending their time on Omah.

4 Likes

Probity before policy … :wink:

1 Like

Well, the labour party would call for an inquiry wouldn’t they?
So she was caught speeding …
Asked what were the possibilities for a private speeding aware, course.
On receiving a No to her request probably because of the possible conflict of self interest v work she paid the fine ….where’s the problem.

Mind you I could be missing something …I came to the above conclusion after listening to Mogs opinion on the subject :wink:

3 Likes

Yep…Mogs yer man Ripple…
:+1:

:joy: I wouldn’t go that far ! He’s got dead eyes .

2 Likes

And he’s a bit posh…
:shushing_face:

1 Like

It’s not what she did - it’s how she went about it. It’s a question of conduct in office and Braverman is the incumbent of one of the Great Offices of State.

2 Likes

I thought as much … it’s not the first time either …

2 Likes

Exactly … she thinks that she’s better than the rest of us because she’s a Tory government minister and wields enormous power but she’s abused that power over a personal matter, minor though it may be.

Hi

Ms Braverman was Attorney General, the highest Government Legal Advisor before she became Home Secretary.

She should have known better, it really is as simple as that.

I don’t do the Labour/Tory thing, I would have said the same if she had been a Labour Politician.

By asking someone for advise ?

Hilarious Omah.

1 Like

In our regional paper today a man driving a BMW was caught speeding twice in 3 weeks. He was caught doing 110mph and then 120mph. I read on, expecting at the end he would have been severely dealt with. He was disqualified from driving for 14 DAYS, given 6 points and has to pay £1,400 in costs!!!

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has decided that Home Secretary Suella Braverman did not breach ministerial rules over her handling of a speeding offence. Mr Sunak said Mrs Braverman will not face an investigation over the row.

The home secretary says she sought advice about arranging a private speed awareness course via officials.

Opposition parties had called on the PM’s ethics adviser to investigate whether she breached ministerial rules.

But in a letter to Mrs Braverman, Mr Sunak said he had decided that “further investigation is not necessary” after speaking to his ethics adviser, Sir Laurie Magnus.

“My decision is that these matters do not amount to a breach of the ministerial code,” Mr Sunak wrote. He said while action could have been taken to avoid “the perception of impropriety”, he was nevertheless reassured that Mrs Braverman took “these matters seriously” and had “expressed regret”.

So what’s the difference between “the perception of impropriety” and actual rule-breaching?

How can the “the perception of impropriety” be avoided if it’s actually breaching the rules?

Sounds like shilly-shallying from Sunak … :roll_eyes:

Good decision. Now get on with stopping the illegal entrants, building some proper power stations and kick electric vehicles into the long grass because we can’t afford them, and I don’t just mean money…

Volvo

1 Like

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-65694352

In her letter to the prime minister Suella Braverman says: “With hindsight, I acknowledge that the better course of action would have been to take the points and fine upfront.”

She reminded Sunak that she was found speeding while she was attorney general in June 2022.

“I received notification that I could take a group speed awareness course or receive a fine and three points on my licence, which was clean at the time. I opted to take the course and booked a date in Autumn.”

But then Braverman adds that after being appointed home secretary in September she consulted her officials in the home office and “asked whether it was appropriate given my new role”.

She says her official status as protected person meant she was “required to have a close protection security team overseeing my movements, and with me always in public”.

I still don’t understand why Braverman didn’t consider an online course … :017:

I don’t think that she would have needed close protection for that … :man_shrugging:

Her reaction still smacks of arrogance over humility … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Totally agree!

The luvvies will now have to start looking for someone else to put the boot in!

2 Likes

I think he’s quite cute in a weird sort of way .:grinning:

2 Likes

Time factors!

I have a metered supply.

:joy: behave !

1 Like

She didn’t want a load of abuse from left wing mob and activists on her course, thats why she wanted a 1:1 session (which is actually more common than you think).

Instead she took the points and fines.

She was perfectly within her rights to do this, which smacks of common sense, more than anything else.

1 Like