Braverman and Cameron?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67370421

So she’s out and he’s in, what do you think?

I’m glad she’s gone. I think her speech and criticism of the Met was deliberately provocative and emboldened the extreme Right, like Tommy Robinson, to send in his goons. She fuelled the flames of hatred

But I don’t think that’s why Sunak fired her or that he particularly disagrees with her, this was more putting the boot in a rival when the chance occurred

Cameron? It’s not often my gob is totally smacked, but I didn’t see that one coming!

A Remainer, pro HS2, proponent of International Aid?

It’s all going to really annoy the Right of the party, maybe placate the centre?

2 Likes

Disaster
I think that Suella should join the Labour Party and become PM

1 Like

Perhaps Cameron will give us another referendum on something he thinks the plebs will like…
:nerd_face:

1 Like

Bye Bye to poisonous vile Braverman. Hello to not cleaver Cleverly and useless ‘I make BAD decisions’ Cameron.

The clown party continues the circus.

5 Likes

Even our not particularly Labour, Labour party hopefully wouldn’t stoop as low as this vile Rabid Rightie?

She may well challenge Sunak as leader one day, though. And doubtless get the populist vote. If the electorate were gullible enough to vote for Johnson……

Cameron? … Back?

Smacks of desperation … :thinking:

4 Likes

It does a bit!

But he was a Remainer so at least he was on the side of the righteous!

And I think the country is a safer and more decent place with him in government rather than Braverman

I don’t really give a flying what the Tories do, it’s only window dressing with them, they are what they are, disgusting, and my only interest is if it makes them weaker and more likely to get kicked out next time

But while we’re stuck with them, Cameron for Braverman isn’t a bad swap :rofl:

1 Like

Why would anyone want to vote for a member of the Bullington Club ?

1 Like

Hi

Maree, Labour will not win if they go to far left.

They need to win with a big majority to push through legislation to sort out the mess we are in.

Rhere are an awful lot of people who have to commute who are totally against the rail unione for example.

Train drivers earn a lot, twice the national average and they will not be voting Labour if the Unions get more power.

People are fed up with both Labour and Conservatives.

They don’t want right wing or left wing.

They want sensible government who will improve things.

There is only a little money available in spite of all the years of Austerity and cut backs, our borrowing costs ae at an all time high.

We need Labour to be in for at least two full Terms, it will take 10 years to sort out the mess we are in.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised that Braverman has been dismissed from a ministerial post - she has been the worst Home Secretary in my living memory and she seems to have been trying to set up her own “Suella Show” instead of working with the Cabinet.

I kind of expected her to be sacked after her recent behaviour, which went beyond the pale for a government minister, and figured that if Sunak was going to get rid of her, he’d probably do it today - after the Remembrance Weekend but before the Appeal Court decision on Rwanda is announced later this week.

I reckon Suella would fit in better if she moved over to the Reform Party. That’s where a lot of people who spout her kind of rhetoric go.

I am amazed about Cameron being dragged out of retirement, though - I didn’t see that one coming!
Appointing someone to a Senior Ministerial role in Government when they haven’t even been elected by the people to represent them is bad form in my opinion. When you think of how people get appointed to the House of Lords in the first place, it seems wrong that a PM can just pick someone from the House of Lords and give them such a powerful role in the Government.
Even more reason to call for an end to the House of Lords cronyism and replace it with a properly Elected 2nd Chamber.

2 Likes

The same reason they voted for Boris Johnson?

1 Like

Some great twitter feeds today playing on the Bobby Ewing shower scene ref Cameron.

Next thing we will see is Cameron heading up the Tory party and a reversal of Brexit.

2 Likes

Therese Coffey leaves her role as environment secretary, Downing Street says.

Was she ever any use … :017:

1 Like

Jesse Norman says he has resigned as transport minister

Jeremy Quin says he has resigned as paymaster general, a minister in the Cabinet Office.

Housing minister Rachel Maclean, who says she’s “disappointed” to have been sacked from her post

Lee Rowley has been appointed housing minister at the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, replacing Rachel Maclean

Health Secretary Steve Barclay has been demoted to environment secretary, replacing Therese Coffey.

Victoria Atkins, the financial secretary to the Treasury,the new health secretary

Laura Trott has been promoted from pensions minister to chief secretary to the Treasury, a role that had been held by Tory MP John Glen.

John Glen, former chief secretary to the Treasury, will become the government’s paymaster general

Science minister George Freeman resigns

Former Work and Pensions secretary Esther McVey has been appointed as a Minister without Portfolio in the Cabinet Office and will attend Cabinet.

One can only hope.

looks like the cat has given up

1 Like

Hi

Well that is the Environment screwed.

1 Like

Cameron’s return revives memories of Greensill scandal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67370421

In appointing David Cameron to one of the top four offices of state, Rishi Sunak has chosen to disregard his close association with one of the UK’s biggest financial scandals of recent years.

Two years ago, BBC Panorama revealed internal documents suggesting Cameron made about $10m (£8.2m) jetting around the world to promote a highly controversial finance business, Greensill Capital.

Greensill, whose disgraced boss Lex Greensill was given an office in Downing Street under Cameron’s premiership and later became both his friend and his employer, collapsed in March 2021.

Billions of dollars of investors’ money was missing. Criminal inquiries into alleged fraud are ongoing in Germany and Switzerland, where Greensill has been named as a suspect.

Greensill previously denied allegations from MPs on the Commons Treasury Committee in 2021 that his collapsed finance firm was a “fraud” or a “Ponzi scheme” - and blamed the firm’s collapse on the withdrawal of cover from its insurers.

Before Greensill Capital collapsed in March 2021, Cameron had intensively lobbied civil servants in 2020 to allow Greensill to lend £10bn under emergency Covid loan schemes, applying pressure by making phone calls and sending dozens of texts and emails to civil servants.

The British Business Bank (BBB) eventually approved Greensill to lend a more limited amount of taxpayer-guaranteed funds under the government’s emergency loans scheme for medium-sized businesses, CLBILS (Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan Scheme).

It later emerged that Cameron had been calling Nadhim Zahawi, then a junior business minister (later appointed chancellor of the exchequer), who according to a letter that later emerged, had been instrumental in securing the BBB’s approval for Greensill to lend.

Within weeks, Greensill lent the maximum possible, £400m, in eight loans to companies with links to one customer, steel tycoon Sanjeev Gupta. The rules of the scheme forbade lenders from extending more than £50m to any one single company. The government has said it will not honour the guarantees made on those loans.

Although Cameron’s hands are tainted by association with dirty deeds he’s avoided charges and has kept the money … :face_with_monocle:

It doesn’t pay to be a hard liner in Sunaks wishy washy government but I am surprised that a white male got the job as Foreign Sec.

3 Likes

Must be cheering for Keir Starmer .