Boris Johnson widely regarded as a ‘liar’ by voters, poll finds

I justify my vote to leave on the grounds that, regardless of trading with the EU, I wanted us to be a sovereign country again.
Others have tried to conquer us one way or another and failed, the latest being Hitler.

As for trading, we can trade with whomever we want, throughout the world and not be tied to one would-be dictator.

Can you now justify your statement?

Yes, but is the trade mostly going one way? We have a trade deficit with most EU countries. Up here in Scotland the SNP wants independence yet 60% of our trade is with the rest of the UK and only 20% with the EU.

3 Likes

A lot of % get shoved about sometimes % can be like the Shifting Whispering Sands.

One thing, about Boris, is that you seldom hear him being described as “Boring”!

There’s an amusing discussion, in the DT, today, that tells us how being boring is a big factor in the election of Prime Ministers.

I paste this, partly, as an amusing read and, partly, as a warning.

From Michael Deacon, Columnist “Way Of The World”

" We keep reading that, if Boris Johnson goes, the race to replace him as Prime Minister will be wide open. But this is untrue. In fact, narrowing down the likely field is easy. Because there’s one thing we already know for sure.

The next PM will be someone stupendously boring.

We know this for a very simple reason: it’s someone boring’s turn. Examine a chronological list of the men and women who have occupied 10 Downing Street in recent decades, and a clear pattern soon emerges. Invariably, someone interesting is succeeded by someone boring, who in turn is succeeded by someone interesting, who is then succeeded by someone boring, and so on. Interesting, boring, interesting, boring. We constantly alternate between the two.

Essentially, what happens is this. We decide we want a PM who is charismatic, energetic, good on TV, a compelling public speaker. Which sounds fair enough. The trouble with charismatic politicians, however, is that they tend to cause a lot of drama. And after a few years, we grow weary of all this drama, and reach eagerly for the antidote: a “safe pair of hands” who “just gets on with the job”. In short: someone boring. But of course, after a few years of someone boring, we inevitably grow bored, and yearn for someone who is charismatic, energetic, good on TV, a compelling public speaker… And so the cycle continues.

Take the prime ministers of my lifetime. The pattern goes Thatcher (interesting), Major (boring), Blair (interesting), Brown (boring), Cameron (interesting), May (boring), Johnson (interesting). So it’s obvious who’ll be next. It’ll be someone boring. In fact, to help us recover from the relentless drama, scandal and controversy of the Johnson premiership, it’ll have to be someone extremely boring indeed. Someone sensationally bland. Dazzlingly tedious. Spectacularly dull.

On the face of it, this sounds like terrific news for Sir Keir Starmer. Because he’s about as boring as a politician, or for that matter a living organism, can be. So if, at the next general election, his opponent is Mr Johnson, Sir Keir will be licking his lips. Destiny, he will feel, is calling. His time has come. A Labour victory is assured.

But wait. The Conservatives can still scupper his chances. If, in the coming months, they ditch Mr Johnson, and replace him with someone boring, Sir Keir is toast. Because then we’ll already have a boring prime minister. Which means that to win the next election, Sir Keir will suddenly have to become interesting. An impossible challenge. His aides will despair. They might as well try teaching an elephant to dance Swan Lake.

Should the Conservatives decide to change leader soon, they have a number of enticingly dull candidates to choose from. But one name in particular is worth keeping an eye on.

Each month, the ConservativeHome website invites Tory party members to pass judgment on each member of the Cabinet. And for the past three months in a row, their favourite minister by some distance has been the Defence Secretary, Ben Wallace. A “safe pair of hands” who “just gets on with the job”. Not only that, he’s balding, middle-aged, and no one can remember a single notable thing he’s ever said.

In other words: he’s Sir Keir’s worst nightmare.

So, if Labour is to win the next election, Sir Keir needs to prevent the Tories from getting a boring leader. Which means doing all that he can to keep Mr Johnson in place. As soon as possible, therefore, Sir Keir must give a speech declaring that partygate is no big deal, that everyone in the country broke the rules at some point, and that he himself spent lockdown having riotous parties with friends too.

Unfortunately for him, though, he’s so boring that no one will believe it."

6 Likes

That is pure gold Ted…Thanks for posting, I’ll be thinking about that all day and showing it to all my friends…All two of them (and they are family so can’t avoid me) I don’t have many friends and now I know why… :069:

2 Likes

Cameron … interesting … :017:

Don’t you think that the Referendum was “interesting” enough to get him remembered?

The guy was an out of touch i.
He thought the referendum was a sure thing .

He was certainly a bit pig-headed.

I’m your friend Foxy, I won’t let you push me away. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Spitty, the feeling is mutual…
:hugs: (man hug)

aww…get a room you two :grinning:

1 Like

I sometimes feel a little uneasy about those two! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Just good friends JB…x

Mumsnet user asks why public should believe ‘habitual liar’ Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson today denied he was a “habitual liar” when asked why the public should believe anything he says.

In an interview with the prime minister, Justine Roberts, founder of Mumsnet, said users of the online forum asked about his “trust and integrity”.

One user asked: “Why should we believe anything you say when it’s been proven you’re a habitual liar?”

Mr Johnson said he did not accept the description or the premise of the question. “People throw all sorts of accusations at me about all sorts of things … you’ve just got to look at the record of what I deliver,” he said.

You’ve only got to look at his appalling record as an habitual liar - he’s been caught out numerous times and been sacked twice from jobs because he lied.

2 Likes

We are more than that, you know that, and, what are you doing, sending JB kisses?

but isn’t he part of the royal patronage?? xx

I dunno, hierarchy has become less important of late.

This thought pattern has only come to front during Sur ron ownership, its seems to have magical powers!