Boris Johnson to face the Liaison Committee today - 06/07/22

The Prime Minister is due to give evidence to the Liaison Committee at 3pm.

The Liaison Committee includes all the chairs from the House of Commons select committees.

It is chaired by Sir Bernard Jenkin MP. Its aim is to question the Prime Minister about policy, promote effective scrutiny of Government, and consider the overall work of select committees.

The committee members are likely to grill the Prime Minister over Chris Pincher’s appointment as deputy chief whip, as well as asking questions about his handling of the cost-of-living crisis, and recent changes to the ministerial code.

Busy day for BJ … :wink:

Boris Johnson is attending the Committee and has begun answering questions.

He’s struggling and stammering like he is 5 years old :scream:

2 Likes

That’s not new though as he’s always been the same. He has never looked anyone straight in the eyes either. He is one of the worst speakers I’ve heard; he is a fudger!

2 Likes

It’s not a pretty sight.
I’m sitting here cringing

1 Like

If you’re waiting for the PM to address matters surrounding his leadership, he was told he’ll face questions about “integrity and politics and related matters at the end of the session”.

The Liaison Committee’s chairman Sir Bernard Jenkin did ask if he wanted to “dispose of those matters immediately first” - but Johnson said he was happy to take Sir Bernard’s lead.

We’re now some 30 minutes into the session and so far the PM’s only been asked about the war in Ukraine.

1 Like

When is the last time a serving Prime Minister was subjected to this kind of interrogation, anyone know?

1 Like

Blink and you miss it

“Will you be PM tomorrow?”

“yes”

No idea, but I wish they would get to the point of the whole thing!

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/103/liaison-committee-commons

The Liaison Committee is made up of Select Committee Chairs. It considers the overall work of select committees, promotes effective scrutiny of Government and chooses committee reports for debates. It questions the Prime Minister about policy, usually three times a year.

1 Like

I didn’t know this…is it always televised/streamed online?

1 Like

Probably … it’s an important meeting involving senior MPs.

1 Like

TBH, I can’t bear to watch him - he’s an appalling public speaker - waffling, blustering, lying - and today, (when I took a quick look) not unexpectedly, he’s looking decidedly shifty … :grimacing:

1 Like

But if he leaves his job, will we go from the frying pan into the fire . . . . :thinking:
They are all in it for themselves, when all’s said and done.

2 Likes

So this is not unusual?
Every PM has this three times a year?
But is this the first time it’s been televised?

It’s a massive conspiracy to get Boris out, IMO.

2 Likes

Angus MacNeil asks if the prime minister will still be in post tomorrow. He says he’s had more resignations than any PM since 1932.

There’s been a conspiracy to keep BJ IN … and now he’s hoist with his own petard … :bomb:

3 Likes

It’s so cringeworthy. He tries to use humour to deflect, and just comes across as a buffoon really.

3 Likes

I’m watching …It’s fascinating in a horrific way rather like a spider webbing and fly.

2 Likes