Boris Johnson considering cutting isolation period to five days

Asked about cutting the isolation period from seven days to five days, the Prime Minister said: “We’re looking at that.

Speaking to broadcasters during a visit to a vaccination clinic in Uxbridge, the Prime Minister said: “There’s a similar argument to be had about the quarantine period - whether to come down from seven days to five days. The thing to do is to look at the science. We are looking at that and we will act according to the science.”

I’ll be interested in “the science” that supports that … :thinking:

Typical Boris the Barmy - look at everything and do nothing!

People usually take less than 5 days off anyway when they have a cold.

1 Like

The other reason for reducing the 7 days to 5 days is firstly, the NHS who are going off work for a week are now only off for 5 days, increasing capacity for services (until 100,000 of them get fired in 8 weeks that is :lol:)

Another is the self employed who, unlike salaried staff don’t get paid for 7 days and instead only lose 5 days work. Even better for them if they test on a Wednesday then they only lose 3 days as it would overlap a weekend.

I have self employed friends in the music industry that have been devastated by this, as have the hospitality industry and the high street over Christmas because of the scaremongering over Omicron.

It’s over.

i understand the nation can’t survive with more and more workers being off sick, but on the other hand, I strongly suspect it’s inviting more trouble by sending them back too soon to infect others.

In a thread somewhere on here, I was amazed to see Summer saying the NHS 111 told her that lateral flow tests can still register Postiive up to 14 weeks after being infected!!

Yeah, your not supposed to test 3 months after getting covid I think.

It’s all falling apart now. Even Sky News are back peddling.

I know Germany is irrelevant but for those working in critical infrastructure the isolation period is also five days provided a PCR-test on the fifth day is negative. For others it’s seven days if an antigen test is negative or ten days without any subsequent test.

It is similar in Australia in healthcare and now transport, the criteria is a negative Rapid Antigen Test.

Who knows if it will work successfully?

By the 26th of Jan all covid restrictions should be removed anyway and personal responsibility used to manage infections.

The u turn on firing the NHS will happen shortly after which will put the pro vaccine cultists into a tail spin. Will they continue to support their tory masters or stick to their principles and demand 100,000 NHS workers to be sacked for disobedience, while still using NHS anyway.

Difficult choices for them … ignorance, hypocrisy or a combination of them both.

All this tosh about the number of days, our Son was first tested positive a week ago today (seven days) and is still showing positive today, there should be no mandated days, no leaving quarantine until clear.

1 Like

Boris is a party animal.

I thought, but not 100%, that that only applied to PCR tests. A doctor friend of my daughter’s told her that PCRs are much more sensitive (due to the way they test) than LFTs and so are capable of detecting the virus for up to 90 days. But the LFT shows positive results only if there is a heavy viral load, and once this reduces it’s less likely to pick it up, so gives a negative result.

Yeah, the LFT are even worse because you can get positive results by dipping them in lemon juice. I saw a story in the news that this was what kids were doing to enable them to skip school.

1 Like

Oh yes, I remember that report, shocking really to think they can be so easily fooled. You have to smile at the kids though, don’t you :lol: