Boris Johnson broke law over No 10 parties, says ex-PM Sir John Major

Sir John Major accused the government of feeling it “need not obey the rules”, adding: “Outright lies breed contempt.”

In a speech to the Institute for Government think tank, Sir John said: “At No 10, the prime minister and officials broke lockdown laws. Brazen excuses were dreamed up. Day after day the public was asked to believe the unbelievable. Ministers were sent out to defend the indefensible - making themselves look gullible or foolish. The prime minister and our present government not only challenge the law, but also seem to believe that they, and they alone, need not obey the rules, traditions, conventions - call them what you will - of public life. The charge that there is one law for the government, and one for everyone else is politically deadly - and it has struck home.”

Sir John, who has previously criticised Mr Johnson over his handling of Brexit and called the government “politically corrupt” in its treatment of the House of Commons, said: “When ministers respond to legitimate questions with pre-prepared sound bites, or half-truths, or misdirection, or wild exaggeration, then respect for government and politics dies a little more.”

Well said, Sir John … :clap:

1 Like

I watched his speech and couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was due to him why I gave up voting. I said, I’d never vote again until they proved to me that they were trustworthy enough for me to vote for them. The next time I voted was for UKIP and then tactically thereafter. If there was another election tomorrow I’d vote for Boris due to the witch hunt against him.

1 Like

If you want Johnson to survive, keep wheeling out these yesterdays men like Major.

Johnson should be eternally grateful every time Major opens his gob.

3 Likes

What “witch hunt”?

BJ is master of his own mistakes and the cause of his own downfall.

1 Like

It’s the normal media thing, build them up and then knock them down.

Are we supposed to take Major seriously? He who publicly admitted boffing Currie while PM and still married to Norma? On ya bike Major!!!

5 Likes

I’ve tried liking this post, but for some reason it won’t let me, this happens quite a lot to me.

1 Like

Then you’d be one of the people responsible for knowingly landing us with a corrupt, self-serving liar as PM during the hard times ahead.

And as guilty and as responsible, as him for the harm he will do, the deaths he may cause, the corruption in our government and the shame he brings on our country

1 Like

Exactly, it’s not a witch hunt, it’s a push for justice and making a stand for decency

Johnson is responsible for his own actions just like the rest of us and should take the consequences just like the rest of us

But instead he lies and tries to wriggle out of it while his supporters whinge about witch hunts and not being nice to him :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I wish that I’d said that … :+1:

1 Like

Yesterday’s man and Remainer who led us into the corrupt EU via the Maastricht Treaty, still trying to stay relevant by attacking his boss who led us out. What a sad bastard he is.

3 Likes

I’ve liked it on your behalf… :slight_smile:

1 Like

What hard times ahead. We’re out of lockdown now, majority of people have been vaccinated. We’re ahead of the majority of other countries regarding the pandemic and we have Boris to thank for that. On Ian King this morning he was talking about a report from businesses, saying how positive they were about the future. When I browse the papers online later on I’ll hopefully find it and post it. This should be the headlines, but the media rather focus on bad news, partygate, etc.

Thanks Judd, I tried to like yours too, the one above this one, but it won’t let me like that one either sob.

What does that mean?

Getting our freedoms back.

1 Like

OK.

Because, of course, the UK, with regard to the pandemic, is still one of the worst performing countries in the world when it comes to cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

1 Like

I would rather curtail my own freedom for the moment, seeing as the virus is still out there. :woman_shrugging:

Freedom means nothing when you are in ICU. Just saying…

(Apologies for the derailment)

1 Like

Were they all calculated in the same way?

Do they all have the same amount of elderly, overweight people, people with breathing difficulties and other underlying health conditions?

Have just posted this on Ruthio’s thread.

As of 8th Feb there are 430 people in icu with very few restrictions on the country. 8th Feb last year there was over 3,000 in icu and we were in lockdown.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

1 Like