Boris Johnson admits by-election results not brilliant but vows to go on

Mr Johnson said he would “listen and learn” and focus on “delivering for the people of this country”.

Taking questions at a press conference in Kigali, Rwanda, Mr Johnson said “I genuinely, genuinely don’t think the way forward is to focus on issues of personality whether they are mine or others. There will still be some tough times ahead, no doubt people will continue to beat me up and say this or that to attack me.”

Cabinet ministers including Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries and Deputy PM Dominic Raab have given the PM their backing.

Asked if he had full confidence in the prime minister’s ability to win the next election, Health Secretary Sajid Javid said: “Boris Johnson is our leader, is the PM and he will be taking us into the next election.”

In a statement, Trade Minister Penny Mordaunt said she was “disappointed” for the party but did not specifically mention support for the PM.

Well, AFAIK, BJ doesn’t “listen and learn” - he just goes his own self-interested way and the only things that he is "“delivering for the people of this country” is inflation, poverty and neglect - unless, of course, they are “chums” … :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Boris Johnson tells Radio 4’s Today there will be no “psychological transformation” from him.

The PM was responding to Tory party chairman Oliver Dowden saying it could not be “business as usual” as he quit.

Mr Johnson told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he “humbly and sincerely” (1) accepts criticism.

But he said he also had to distinguish between “criticism that really matters and criticism that doesn’t”.

Speaking from the Commonwealth heads of government meeting in Rwanda, Mr Johnson repeatedly said that policy was more important than allegations about his conduct.

The PM was challenged by presenter Mishal Husain that a lot of the criticism had been about him personally and had come from people who had worked with him.

They included his top policy aide Munira Murza, who criticised Mr Johnson’s “scurrilous allegation” about Jimmy Savile and Sir Keir Starmer; former minister Jesse Norman, who said the PM “presided over a culture of casual law-breaking”; and ethics adviser Lord Geidt.

But Mr Johnson said: “As a leader, you have to try to distinguish between the criticism that really matters and the criticism that doesn’t.”

He said that “of course” he regarded morality as a part of leadership.

But Mr Johnson was questioned about how he had not resigned over misleading the House of Commons, breaking the law for the Covid fine, or losing the support of 41% of his MPs in the confidence vote.

“Let’s look at this in a more cheery way, if that’s possible” he said. “Actually, what’s happened is that I’ve got a renewed mandate from my colleagues (2) , and I’m going to continue to deliver.”

The leopard will not change his spots … :leopard:

(1) BJ “humble and sincere” … :042:

(2) Has he … :017:

BJ’s rapidly becoming the faster talker since Patrick Moore but Patrick Moore knew what he was talking about, BJ doesn’t … :091:

There will be no “going on” if this lot have their way.

1 Like

I just heard him do an interview on TV

It was really weird

He kept saying the results were because people were fed up with constantly hearing again and again about the things he’d done, a

Not that people were furious at him because of what he’s done

In other words, it’s the media and our fault for keeping on about his misdeeds and not letting it drop

Not his for committing those misdeeds in the first place!

Self delusional, arrogant or just manipulative and politician speak?

He just won’t admit to his own culpability

He’s living in his own deluded world. Only sycophants surround him. I wouldn’t be surprised if BJ retreated to a bunker.

:069:

He really has to go.

1 Like

Is he still in Rwanda? And Prince Charles?

Do we really have to let them back in? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m thinking we should just let him carry on and take the whole party with him. If he goes now and someone else is brought in, they might rally round and get through in the next GE.

1 Like

Good point … :+1:

However, BJ is becoming more of a despot every day and he may yet make one unilateral decision too many … :open_mouth:

1 Like

True, yes :frowning_face:

Replace him with who and why that candidate ?

So, I’m guessing that either the July 1922 Committee or the October Party Conference will see BJ gone.

Inevitably, before either of those events there will be more revelations of nepotism, incompetence and corruption … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

By his own resignation? Or do you think there is time for the law to be changed to allow a 2nd No Confidence vote? I read this morning that he is reported to have “said” he would only go if Ukraine became too costly or too risky to continue supporting them. Quite why he feels the need to distract us all with another country’s war, is beyond me, but there we have it.

1 Like

BJ won’t resign but the Tory knives are out and waiting to stab him in the back - it’s just the lack of a suitable replacement that’s delaying the assassins … :027:

1 Like

Well that is a whole other quandry really isn’t it? :astonished:

Hi

Boris will not go easily, he will have to be dragged out of Downing Street.

2 Likes

Anyone. Anyone, including Corbyn, would be better (and I loath Corbyn).

Then that’s replacement for the sake of it , two years til the next election clocks ticking.

It’s replacement for the sake of the country.

Unless the spineless back the next one it’ll make no difference, I suspect rejoining the EU again will be the final outcome, the tories have always torn themselves asunder over Europe.