Book Clubs - have you tried one?

So, have any of you OFF members ever tried a book club where we all read the same book and then dissect/discuss/debate it?

Asking for a friend;-)

1 Like

Errrrr, Nope. But then my taste in books is not to that many peoples liking.

Now I’m burning with curiosity about what sort of books you like. And I’m sure Minx’s friend would also like to know. :001:

Yes - our village library ran one BC (before Covid) and it was good. Strange how eight people could read the same book and all come up with differing points of view.

I have no end of trouble finding books that I can read. I usually abandon them after a couple of chapters.

Why is that, Harbal? Do you favour a particular genre?

Good to see you again, by the way.:smiley:

For some time now, I’ve only been able to read books that are funny, but it has to be a certain kind of funny. It’s hard to explain what kind of funny. And I prefer books by women, or at least women who are my kind of funny. :slight_smile:

It’s always a pleasure to see you, too, ST. :039:

Yes, Minx, I have tried two times with a book club. So many different focuses on many of the characters, the difference of opinions, and motives, etc…I found when I had to read the book, I couldn’t let myself get caught up in it. I was second guessing and trying to look for the answers to questions that were sure to be asked at the meetings.
It took the pleasure out of mentally finding a face for the characters.
It was not for me, but many of my friends look forward to it. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback Right Now. I love discussing books and characters.

I would bet you would enjoy the groups at bookclubs, Minx.
Go for it!:slight_smile:

Oooh this is a great idea! I have recently read The Book Thief, When God Was a Rabbit, Buddha Da, and Horse Boy. All very different but enjoyable all the same.

I’ve tried twice at different venues .
Not for me, I found the chosen books not to my taste so couldn’t get interested .

This is a risk. I also have a certain taste that the next person might not necessarily enjoy!

I’m not sure it’s going to fly PixieK.

Yes, I realise that…such a shame really. Great idea though. Give it another month or two and try again, perhaps?

Definitely will do so! The best part about reading books is dissecting them and hearing a different perspective!

Oh absolutely! And while I get Zuleika’s point about not being interested in a book that wasn’t to her taste…to me that’s the whole idea. Trying something new that you wouldn’t normally go for. I have found many books this way and they have (mostly) been good reads. Some I just couldn’t get into because of the writing style (The Room, being one example) but I’m looking forward to you pitching the idea again! :smiley: