Bonfire Night: Garden fireworks 'traumatise' guide dogs and pets

Ahh ok…what a lovely looking dog! :service_dog:

1 Like

The only fireworks I heard last night were a few reasonably quiet ones, but I usually find that people feel it is ok to to let them off when it fits their other social functions… so tonight may be worse!
My own 2 cats were locked in & the 2 strays that I have taken in panic if they are locked in, so they were both in a cosy warm room at 8pm & still there in the morning.
It is often young adults that like big bangs & not small children, so isn’t it time we found a new way of celebrating this occasion?

If we banned the sale of fireworks surely the council could hire a big hall , made to look like the houses of parliament and have dim lights so groups of children could search for Guy Fawkes, for 10 mins…with a chocolate bomb for those who found him!
Then back to mum or dad for a drink & toffee apple .
It is just an idea & if they added £5 to the council tax each year it should provide the money to do it. I would happily pay that to reduce the stress on animals & I think young kids may enjoy it. I am sure the reduction in cost of providing all the Fire Brigade attendances could assist if the costs were too high!

They were making me jump too last night Meg. There is definitely something noisier these days. Years ago you could just get the basic Astra or the other brand which I cannot remember (I think it began with B). These would be under a glass screen at the supermarket (adults only). Now it seems neighbours buy professional fireworks online because the displays around here are like something out of New Years eve tv standard. Only they are having such displays in their back gardens. Last night was just ridiculous - constant noise from 7pm onwards. They may look lovely but why does everyone need to do this when they can go to a display? I think Diwali coinciding with bonfire night doesn’t help a jot.

I don’t think these days that most home displays are for kids. It seems to be adults organising parties. One neighbour 2 doors away has the most spectacular displays every year and it’s definitely a garden full of drunken adults applauding. Goodness knows how much it all costs but it seems some people have money to burn.

1 Like

In case anyone is interested here is a change.org petition for silent fireworks : https://www.change.org/p/10downingstreet-ban-fireworks-unless-silent-or-for-venues-or-need-a-personal-license-to-obtain-them?signed=true

1 Like

Its ironic this is going on when COP26 about climate change, is happening in this country…:thinking:

Signed

97,125 have signed.

Idiots!

I agree Annie! What bothers me is that drunken adults are more likely to cause fires than than children… and I bet they have gas barbeques too!
If we have silent fireworks it will help pets & even servicemen who suffer PTSD, but I still worry about the wildlife who will get injured & burned. It is time we stopped bonfire night & replaced it with something safer!

2 Likes

Yes, fireworks. We had a lot of them yesterday evening , some of them extremely loud explosions. I am in two minds about this. Of course I feel very sorry for the dogs. But then should we deny the pleasure the kids (and adults) for this occasion?

There’s also the environment to think about. Have you seen the article about smog in Delhi caused by Diwahli firework displays? Considering we are all being pushed towards electric cars, no coal and even banning of farting cows I don’t understand how bonfire nights in individual gardens can be justified at such times as these.

2 Likes

Because, sadly, it isn’t just an occasion, Besoeker…the fireworks are available for weeks beforehand, and weeks afterwards (everyone stocks up for New year), and idiots run around thinking its a great laugh to set them off at every random moment. If it WAS an occasion, at an organised display far away from houses, pets and people, then fine…but it never is. :frowning:

Edit::: Actually, its not fine, personally speaking. I don’t agree with them, and don’t think that celebrating an old misinterpreted tradition (which incidentally is anti scottish and anti catholic) will ever be fine…

2 Likes

I never liked bonfire night I was always afraid of my kids being hurt . I have no pets now and I was in bed last night at 11.30 PM 3 massive explosions in a neighbours back garden … …really what a childish thing to do when children and some folk asleep. Pathetic people.

Ban them .

1 Like

We had just the odd one or two before the 5th. Maybe we were just lucky.

Surely it is not about luck though? If everybody understood that it was only a celebration on the 5th of November & didn’t decide to have it on the nearest Saturday or a week later/before then it would be just one night a year and those with pets could make specific arrangements for their pets.
Sadly people just think about themselves and let fireworks off for New Year, birthday & anniversary celebrations and any time they feel like between 31st October & the end of November.
I have seen a few children who were burned at these celebrations & I have also seen the scars they were left with.
We need to remember that not everybody is sensible & even if they are they can still get burnt.
Teaching children to enjoy fire was never a good move… some older kids used to think it was fun to put a banger through the letter box.
Times have changed since we were kids & it is time to teach the young that if they can’t use things safely then it will no longer be legal to use them… and that includes stupid adults too!

If I had been there when they did that to dogs I may have been tempted to to put a firework down the adults trousers to see how they like it! :rage:

2 Likes

Oh I wouldn’t have stopped at the trousers Twink :icon_evil:

2 Likes

Not suitable for those of a sensitive disposition:

:scream:

1 Like

You know I have a pet and I love him dearly. But not everybody has a pet or even doesn’t like them. What then if these people want to enjoy their fireworks? Would it be fair to deny them?