Bob's Bits.

Great stuff OGF, love the pics too.

Robert, do you think someone can ever get used to hill walking? I ask, because it’s a struggle for me. I’m always at the end of the group, puffing and panting and struggling. I just wish I knew it would get easier!

Well done Nom. You did well :smiley:

Abbey, when I was slip of a kid, we went on a school holiday to Scotland for a week staying at Minard Castle on the banks of Loch Fyne. On one of the excursions we visited the Crinan Canal near Lochgilphead. And on another occasion the coach took us to the Caledonian Canal at Fort Augustus. But I probably live nearer to you that those canals.

Thanks Bird appreciate the comments.

And last but not least, Alice; There are many reasons why you might struggle on the hills. Medical, power to weight ratio, and the composition of muscles. There are fast twitch and slow twitch fibres. Fast twitch allow explosive releases of energy ieSprinters, weightlifters etc, then there are slow twitch, energy is released over a long period ie long distance runners and hill walkers. We all have both types, but in different compositions. A sprinter would be rubbish on a marathon, and a marathon runner would be easily beaten over 100 metres. But with practice the sprinter could run a decent marathon. The more you tackle hills, the easier they will be, but you need to be patient and only build up slowly. You probably have other qualities that some of your friends admire.

What a nice way of explaining things Robert. I can walk for miles on the flat, just not hills. Well, I always get there on hills, but it’s a hard struggle. I don’t think asthma helps either. I have to take a big puff of my inhalor before a hill. Then I collapse at the splendour of the view at the top! Thank you for being so understanding of it all :smiley:

The wind was strong today and sometimes the conditions are just such that it drains your strength.
Hey you had the reserves which is good, all things considered and the fact that you have had to build them up again in recent times.
Great pics also … :slight_smile:

Good morning Robert. Any adventures planned for today? :smiley:

Today is a blank canvas Alice… Although I’ve got Tesco penciled in this morning.
Just another post, in the fence of life.

[FONT=“Verdana”][SIZE=“4”][/SIZE][/FONT]A Man of Letters…

http://www.over50sforum.com/picture.php?albumid=789&pictureid=5849

You certainly had the legs for it Rob!!

Anita, you’re making me blush…I wish the woman who matters thought like you…your style of writing certainly looks familiar…

My Friend Allen…
It all started back in the late eighties, in the brief time I belonged to a running club. ‘Long Distance Running’ is a mostly solitary pastime; nobody runs at your pace or has the same commitment. Running round the track from out of the sun on that late September evening came Allen. Only a short bloke, but lean and mean, with a mentality to match. Brought up in a South Yorkshire pit village and the youngest of three brothers. After being bullied at school, he was shown no mercy by his father, who taught him to be a man and fight.
He joined the army [perhaps conscription in those days] and took up boxing. He wrote a piece in the club magazine under the pen name of ‘Jungle Fighter’ from his time in the far east.
I was impressed by his grit and determination, and we gelled immediately. About ten years older [late fifties] than me, but his half marathon times were a few minutes faster than mine. We ran several long distance fell events together [42 miles plus] and quite a few full marathons [26 miles]. Allen later went on to run 12 and 24 hour track races, winning one in Darlington. Computers were just becoming popular, and Allen was one of the first to embrace this new technology.
While out on runs together I would hear stories of how he surfed the internet into the early hours of the morning, and Christmas’s would not be complete without a home made card from Allen.
We thought we were invincible: While sat in the local pub one night, Allen suggested that we should have a run out to the coast at the weekend, what he had in mind was actually running what is known as the ‘Cleveland Way’ a 110 mile route from Helmsley, all the way across the North York Moors to Saltburn on the East Coast, and then all the way down through Whitby, Scarborough and finishing on Filey Brig. And on 24th and 25th of May 1991 it was successfully completed, raising a thousand pounds for the Doncaster Society for the Disabled. But more about that later…
It was during one of Allen’s attempts at a 24 hour track race that it all went pear shaped…After leading the event for twelve hours, he walked off the track and drove home, and that was the last time I ever saw Allen run…
He has since moved to Retford and apart from the odd e-mail we rarely see each other. He was one of the major influences in my running career, I am proud to have spent ten years of my life running round England with this lion of a man…I wrote an Ode in celebration…

[SIZE=“4”]Allen’s Encounter With The Devil.[/SIZE]
Allen was a runner of undisputed fame, not world class or owt’ like that
But fearsome just the same.
He used to run the streets round here in wind and rain and snow,
Passing local joggers cos’ they would run too slow.
He loved his life of running although he wasn’t young,
He’d seen the best of fifty years… and some!
He had a dream our Allen, to run on fell and peak,
And maybe further than before… that would be unique.
But fate would deal a cruel hand non of us knew why,
But while running through some undergrowth he let out such a cry.
He staggered on for two more steps and stumbled to the floor,
On hands and knees he battled on, but he could run no more.

As he lay there motionless heart beating in his head,
He saw a figure in the trees, Blimey am I dead?
No you’re not, the voice replied, you’re still a hangin’ on,
But the sands of time are running out, I don’t think you’ve got long.
Now I can help you overcome this minor obstacle,
But for this deed I also need a favour in return.
You are going running over hill and moor,
To taste the freedom of the of the fells and open up the door.
Well I would like to travel down that lonely moorland track,
But I’m too small to run with you, so take me in your pack.
Allen thought a minute, and can you make me right?
Oh yes my friend as good as new, you’ll be running home tonight.

Training had been flawless and now the day had come,
The little man had not been seen… not by anyone.
Allen feeling awesome sprinted down the track,
When suddenly a head appeared shuffling out his sack.
A lovely day for running Al, don’t you think that’s true?
But you’ve got to keep it going though cos’ I rely on you.
At first the miles went quickly running in the sun,
But then the sky got cloudy, and Allen’s back was done.
Still the little man clung on shouting down his lug,
Come on Al speed it up, stop running like a mug!
Allen, he had heard enough and grasped the little chap,
And roughly hurled him to the ground, now what do ya’ say to that?
You stupid fool! Exclaimed the gnome, his voice began to fade,
What about the deal we struck?
Allen looked over his shoulder, Consider it fully paid!

The finest run of his career had finally reached it’s end,
I’ve never felt as good as this, I just can’t comprehend.
He lay down in his bed that night, thinking of his feat,
Now I feel so tired but victory is sweet.
The morning came as usual as he pulled on his running shirt,
I think I’ll do a mile or two before I go to work.
But as he got outside the house, the pain was so intense,
He stumbled to the gatepost and leaned against the fence.
And that was the last time Allen ran across the fell,
But he likes his new computer, it fills his time so well…

Great Ode, Robert :smiley: Isn’t it nice to just meet people you seem to gell with throughout life? You can go for ages without seeing them, then you could meet them and it would just be like seeing them yesterday. Sounds like you would be like that with Allen.

I’m sure she’s quietly appreciative Rob. :slight_smile:

What an interesting tale about your mate Allen, not to mention the ode, that was some long distance running you were doing in the early 90’s. I should think Allen has fond memories of those times too.
Good work all round.

That is an interesting article about Allen, such a pity he stopped running like he did. I have a friend who used to run marathons, she travelled all over to events, it was her life. Suddenly she stopped for no apparent reason and never ran again. Seemed strange to me.

Loved the ode too OGF.

Why cant they make Trig Points more interesting ? :):slight_smile:

Another cracker! Have you ever thought of publishing any of your ‘bits’ OGF? I think they merit it. They’re as good as many things I’ve read in various places.

nice Ode OGF - welcome to the poets corner

[FONT=“Verdana”]Entry:-260215
Sometimes a run just doesn’t go to plan, right from the start this mornings five felt like I was running in jelly. Nothing wrong with the weather [blustery, mild and very dry underfoot] but no pace, flow or rhythm. Even on a short downhill stretch, when I asked the engine room for more power - nothing. All you can do on mornings like these, is just keep it going the best you can and don’t be too disappointed when you see the pathetic time at the end. [/FONT]

Thanks for all your comments on ‘My Friend Allen’ I appreciate them. Ta muchly…
And Nom…you’ve given me an idea…

Aww don’t worry Rob, as you say there are days like that. Maybe the energy levels were just a bit low today, it happens.

You’re getting quite a following here with your ‘bits’ I thought the Ode was great, very descriptive indeed.

I’ve done my exercise for the day, a couple of hours almost, this morning of keep fit, one in a gym, one in a pool, fit for nothing now!

You do realise I’ve put on weight since you became homeless, Bob, LOL I wasn’t getting all the exercise reading about your running ventures! At least people are reading your journal again and might encourage some others to join you on your trips (virtually that is) :smiley: