Bob's Bits.

I used to scoff at runners who could only manage to run a mile in 10 minutes… :009:
If I ran a mile in 7 minutes it was classed as a warm up and it turned out to be my average pace while running a marathon (26 miles) Even on a 40 mile fell run my average would be well under 8 minutes for a mile.
:man_running:
As the years rolled by my average pace dropped to 8 minutes per mile and then 9 minutes per mile, and by the time I was 60 it had dropped further to 10 minutes per mile and I realised just how hard it would have been for those runners I scoffed at to maintain that pace…Because I was now one of them…
:flushed:
Seventy turned out to be the turning point. Running was getting more difficult but I still managed to run 8 miles without stopping, but the pace was now more like 13 minutes for a mile and I was a dead man walking at the end.
:xray:
By the time I reached 72 it was discovered that my heart wasn’t able to keep up with my running and it was impossible to run more than one mile without taking a walk…
So fast forward (or slow forward) to the present day, and following my recent attack of gout that has affected my knee, I’ve just started back walking again after a three day layoff and put in a mile time of just 26 minutes…Time to cut a large slice of humble pie I think…
:blush:

2 Likes

Any movement is good movement as you know Foxy, I still power walk at 4mph which = one mile in15 minutes that has always been enough :walking_man:

2 Likes

Well done Spitty, I’m not able to manage that magic 15 mins per mile these days even sticking a bit of jogging in, but I’m hoping to get back to some longer distances in the future, albeit a bit slower. I moan a bit, but I do enjoy getting out and am grateful to the NHS for giving me the chance with the stents and pacemaker…

1 Like

When I was gainfully employed, I was often chastised for rushing everywhere. My response was usually, “I’m not rushing, this is my normal speed.”

Upon taking early retirement due to ill health, I was advised to take exercise when and where possible.
Due to a number of health issues, I had slowed down somewhat. Complications ensued when I had £30 grand’s worth of electronicals embedded in my chest. I’m not supposed to raise my arms above my head lest I pull out the wuzzy-pipes set therein. I’m sure Bob knows all about wuzzies and wuzzy pipes that transport electrickery from one place to another using metallic spaghetti. Sadly this limitation has ruled out swimming, and arthritic knee-knobs have ruled out bicycling.

I’ve never enjoyed running, unless chasing an oval shaped leather ball, so that left me with walking.

I enjoy taking my pocket camera with me and exploring areas near where I live, whether it be snickleways leading to old urban buildings, or parklands, or farmlands and villages nearby.
I discovered soon enough that I could walk on the flat, of which there is an abundance by here, for about two hours before my knees tell me to stop. Hills are a problem but I can manage up to medium gradients if I take it slow. Steps hurt, so I avoid them when I can.

When the weather started to turn, I invested £200 on a dreadmill, and discovered my standard walking speed had reduced to 5km/h, but I could maintain that until my knees cried “Uncle.”

This continued when covid first stalked the land, and the madness that accompanied lockdown descended upon us. I would take a walk on the mill during this time, or when the weather was un-clement, and listen to music. On a good day I could do 5km, usually in bursts of one or two km at a time. I also learned the technique of reading a book at the same time without falling over.

Then I went hunting Unicorns earlier this year,

and hurt my foots in the process as I walked on the cobbles and other uneven ground of Bristol dockside.
Although it no longer hurts, there is permanent damage and a mild deformity that has affected my gait and slowed me down considerabubbly. sigh

The upshot is that I can now no longer walk for as long as I used to, nor as far, nor as fast.

As a very wise old-phart once said, “Old Age cometh not alone.”

1 Like

A while ago, a well missed Sage on here stated “Old Age is no place for Sisses” he was so right, you just have to learn to “Diss” the “Siss”

2 Likes

I enjoyed your post @Fruitcake and I can relate to the ‘wuzzies and wuzzy pipes’ they can limit your aspirations concerning exercise, but I try to keep on, keeping on, the best I can. I often have to pay for it later. We’ve got a state of the art exercise bike but I’ve never really warmed to the fact that you can exert so much energy and don’t actually get anywhere except knackered…
I like to look at stuff as I go whizzing past with the wind in my face, and what’s left of my hair.
I keep looking in on a thread called “Rock and Roll I gave you the best years of my life” I should re word that to read…“Long Distance Running I gave you the best years of my life”
From being a young man of 27 years old (a late starter) I strapped on a pair of running shoes and didn’t stop running, reading about running, talking about running, and thinking about running until I was 70 years old…And it’s still at the front of my mind even now…

2 Likes

Thanks Bob. I always enjoy your posts. I knew you would understand the highly technical terms like Wuzzy-Pipes that the average person would not.

I never enjoyed running long distance, but I did enjoy cycling, and the flatlands around dear old Donny were ideal for that. Solo or in a small group, it was always fun.

There was a loop a friend and I used to do, starting at Bessy where we lived, then taking an Easting towards Armthorpe, then a Southing out to the three counties corner where Yorks, Notts, and Links all touched.
I remember one summer stopping for lunch in a dry drainage ditch by the side of the road, so deep we couldn’t see the cars going by.
After that we took a Westing past the Park Drain Hotel. Allegedly it was built when a new mine and supporting mining village was proposed. The hotel was built, but nowt else. It always look incongruous, sat all alone in the middle of nowhere, but somehow it survived, although I have no idea if it still stands.

We stopped for an ice cream then absolutely barrel-arsed down the long curving hill, clocking 55mph on the way, before levelling off to arrive happy and exhilarated in Bawtry, then north again on the A638, the Great North Road, back to Bessy on the Carr.

Happy days.

2 Likes

I know that route well Fruitcake, I used to cycle it myself, or at least part of it. I later used to run from here to Armthorpe, through Branton and Auckley, past Walkers nurseries to Blaxton Cross Roads and left past Lindholme and into Woodhouse on my way back home…It was my 17 mile course saved for a Sunday morning. My cycled route would take me down the long straight stretch through the three counties and past the Park Drain to my right, when I would continue to Westwoodside, Haxey and Graiselound (strange name) and eventually join the A18 from Scunny back home to Barnby Dun.
We once called in for a meal at Park Drain, but after seeing the menu and ten quid for a bowl of soup, we gave it a swerve…
Next time I’m out that way I’ll go and have a look see and post a photo, I do believe the building is still there…
Our two paths in life seem to have come together with cycling Fruitcake, albeit a bit late…
Although I can only manage to run about half a mile now, I can still cover about 20 or 30 miles on the bike with no bother.

1 Like

How’s the new car bob bit? Are you loving it as much as I’m loving mine, do we have the same engine: 3 cylinder turbo? I love the speed limiter, well I don’t love it but it helps prevent speeding tickets. I imagine you’re free to gun it out there on the moors. My 208 does 130mph allegedly.

1 Like

According to this website, The Park Drain Hotel was situated on Idle Drain. It was built in 1899 for a coal mine which was never opened. Locally nicknamed Klondyke, this pub closed in the 1990s. and is now used as house/offices.

Park Drain, Westwoodside (closedpubs.co.uk)

1 Like

@d00d It’s a very comfortable quiet motor and great to drive, the engine is a four cylinder 1.5 HDi Diesel and is quite shifty and quick off the mark, however, under load conditions (driving up steep hills with 4 people on board) it doesn’t perform as well as the Qashqai 2 litre diesel. But I suppose that’s only to be expected.
The electric handbrake is novel but takes a bit of getting used to. Fortunately I’ve found out how to temporarily disable that silly stop/start feature, but it defaults on whenever you start the engine. I also have disabled the annoying beep beep beep whenever you drive close to objects. My drive is narrow, as is the garage, and it was beginning to send me mad… :crazy_face:
I have also disabled the lane guidance system, it pulls at the wheel whenever you cross a white line…very annoying!
Apart from that, I like it and look forward to driving it. Look! the boot lid opens with no hands…
:astonished:

1 Like

Heh OGF can you perhaps go for a happier title for this thread - i am getting 'orrible nightmares atm of which bits you still have and which ones have fallen off??

1 Like

It does rattle the mind a bit…er…em…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It’s all in the interpretation guys…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Cant beat terp re ta shions

1 Like

You’ve been having some fun …

I’ve got an electric handbrake too, love it. It means the centre console can be higher, elbow height. The new 208 is very sporty with a low seating position compared to your suv. This is clever: you arrive at your destination, switch off engine and handbrake comes on automatically. When moving off, just touch the accelerator, you feel the brake holding you back slightly, then it releases itself and goes. Yours is probably exactly the same.

Silly stop/start feature, I agree, would be nice to disable that permanently. But it’s no big deal, I rarely notice it, I think it disables itself when its starting to drain the battery. haha

Lane guidance system and sensors, I might have them disabled, must check. I do have the reversing sensors and camera working, great for city parking in tight spots.

I don’t think my boot opens no hands. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Had enough of Cars, except Z3’s.

Sorry Robert.

1 Like

Z Cars, evenin’ all.

Don’t start copping out.

the boys are at it again - " heh cum and look at my hotrod - it shivers just enough without a noise! - and no drip from exhaust!

1 Like