Blocked/sluggish shower tray waste pipe?

No need to worry/ fuss when you own a Screwfix Sink & Bath Unblocker. Product No 13894 selling for £3.49 will serve you well.
I was reminded of this when a recently new tenant of one month phoned to ask about a very slow running shower waste. I provide a Screwfix 13894 as part of a tenant’s self-fix pack together with a full description of how-to-use. The new tenant had not bothered to either read the pack or look into the self-fix box provided. Within the hour, the same tenant phoned again to tell me the shower waste is now running fully free and apologised for not reading ALL the literature I provide. My tenants are responsible for all blockages they cause and the self-fix kit I provide will get them out of trouble.
I can fully recommend this Screwfix product and suggest members here keep one handy ready to clear any slow running waste pipe or blockages. Excellent value at £3.49 as of today’s date 23/4/22.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip LD.

1 Like

Do they make a bigger version for outside drains, Longdriver?

1 Like

This is a very timely thread - thank you @LongDriver

Only this morning, I noticed the water from my shower was not draining away properly - it is not completely blocked but the water isn’t draining freely, even after making sure the outlet grid is clear of hair, so I think it’s probably a build up of hair that has got through the grid mixed with residues of soap/hair conditioner etc in the outlet pipe that may be causing it.

My shower water pressure is not powerful enough to really shift any soap build up that may be restricting the water flow and “Conventional plungers” don’t work on my shower drain when it is just draining away sluggishly because I cannot get enough depth of water in the shower tray to create enough pressure for the plunger to work.

Reading the reviews for this Screwfix plunger, it sounds as though you don’t need much water in the shower tray to for this device to work, so I’ll be buying one on Monday too see if it works for me - at that price, it’s worth a try before having to resort to nasty chemicals.
Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

You could always try a good old fashioned trick - put in tablespoonful of baking powder, followed by a cup of vinegar, followed by a pint of boling water - sorts out most things.

Thanks LD.
My shower water is a bit slow to go down. I’ll be getting one of these.

1 Like

Not that I’m aware about, but if one exists, then I would expect your search engine to find it for you. Larger rubber discs do exist, but that comes with a complete drain rod set which is designed for main underground drainage runs.
Bailey 19mm Black Drain Rod Set 9.14m | Drain Rods | Screwfix.com

2 Likes

If the cause is a build-up of hair (and other things!) try one of these.

LEKEYE Drain Hair Catcher, Stainless Steel Drain Protector Durable Tub Drain Hair Catcher, Strainer Easy Clean Hair Trap for Shower Drain : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

There are other similar things but I bought one of these because it is stainless steel and, unlike the plastic ones and the chrome plated ones, I’m sure it will last a long time.

1 Like

I do similar too, Tabby, but I use equal measures of salt, bi-carb, and white vinegar followed by the boiling water. :smiley:

1 Like