Blah blah blah Sport on TV

This evening I turned on TV for a bit of the usual nonsense to fill the house with and have in in the background to glance at at times and what were the main three channels showing but football on BBC1, athletics on bbc2 and rugby on ITV. Is this really the best that the top three can muster in terms of variety and entertainment on a Saturday evening?

Can’t stand watching most sport as it’s pretty boring and self indulgent.

3 Likes

Oh I sooo agree, Melgal.
Saturday nights has got to be the worst night on telly for this very reason. Drives me nuts every week.
Then on the other channels it is nothing but repeats of old repeats. Grrrr . . . . .

2 Likes

Tictoc is better to watch than tv

1 Like

Rubbish tv means more of us logging on here! :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t watch sport either
Instead I watched ‘Hidden’ on BBC 4 … which I won’t be doing again

2 Likes

Just flicked on BBC 1 and caught a minute of the news before they introduced the presenter of the Sports Desk, so I went to get a cuppa while she rattled on. Have just come back into the room to see that match of the day is now on. For heaven’s sake. Looking down the TV menu, it’s fair to say that there’s actually less than nothing worth watching.

The contempt which the terrestial channels show to the viewers these days is appalling. The BBC in particular are supremely guilty of this made worse by the fact we are taxed to pay for it.
It has dumbed down its content to the nth degree. I used to enjoy some antique programs but now the BBC have decided that they must all act as big kids and have nicknames, gone are the days where you might learn something.
The Repair Shop great idea spoilt by poor editing and only having people on who will burst nto tears when they collect their item.
And don’t get me started on the ridiculous OTT politically correct casting.
I could go on but whats the point as it can only get worse if that is possible

2 Likes

I flick all round my Sky channels, find nothing worthy to watch, so switch telly off. Either get my iPad, or my book. Or walk the dog.

I hate sport and think it is unfair to clog up the main channels.

1 Like

I so agree with all that’s been said. I hate sport of all description, probably because I’ve had years of Mr B watching it incessantly. It became a major issue between us back in the days when we had just the one TV, and before we had all the streaming and ‘catch up’ capabilities.

Now we have a TV in the dining room and I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, so he sits in the lounge with the sport on and I stay in the dining room watching whatever I want to watch.

We pass each other occasionally on the way to the loo or to the kitchen :joy:

2 Likes

We’ve been watching that too. Is it us or did the producers go out of their way to find the most depressing parts of Snowdonia to film this programme in?

that exactly the set up we have in our house bathsheba :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just thought I’d sit down and have a cuppa and put on some background nonsense on the TV. Guess what’s on?

BBC 1 football
BBC 2 Athletics, followed by some rugby program
ITV1 Tale end of The Chase, soon to be followed by…FA Cup match

It’s been a dreadful weekend for telly, I agree entirely.
Ended up watching old repeated repeats of Clint Eastwood films. The other choice was an even older Robert Redford film.
If you didn’t want those, it was sport!

1 Like

Not a fan of watching sports on tv either and thankfully neither is my husband .
I consider myself a lucky woman. :grin:

3 Likes

That’s my feeling too about TV’s coverage of ‘sport’. Playing is one thing, but to watch a screen where the camera is under the direction of an over enthusiastic pedant, is NOT my idea of passing the time. Although that said, the latest F1 coverage has improved greatly over last season :+1:

1 Like

It’s a fine line. There are activities, hobbies and pastimes in which the partaker gets involved solely for personal challenge or gratification and sometimes to compete against others. There are also activities which are intended to include interest and engagement with the observer, and so when practising and or presenting them the partakers have the intention of pleasing the crowd and make deliberate provision for it.

I’m not convinced that rugby players, footballers nor racing drivers give a flying fig about what the spectators think

Hard drive. Endeavour. Excellent :heavy_check_mark:

Pardon?

1 Like

Nor should they when push comes to shove. Team sports are all about the teams where members work together as a team, but now with F1 where the tow drag has been substantially reduced, team work has also been reduced with the loss of a decent tow suction behind each car. DRS when enabled, now plays a bigger part that it did before when a good tow made all the difference.

1 Like

Dear oh dear. Perhaps we should have hour after hour after hour of TV time dedicated to different types of washing machines and ironing boards and endless discussion on the best way to get clothes clean , ironed, organised and put away. We could take over prime time TV on Saturday evening with this, showing how it’s done and talking tactics.

1 Like