Birds seen in my garden

These are the birds seen in my garden this morning and most days
In descending order of numbers
There used to be woodpeckers ( green and less spotted ) but they don’t come anymore .
We have a lot of raptors in the area ( buzzard red kite and sparrow hawk so sometimes the garden goes quiet )

Rook
Jackdaw
Sparrow
Dunnet
Starling
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
Magpie
Blackbird
Robin
Chaffinch
Blue tit
Long tailed tit
Wag tail
Wren

1 Like

Today I had all the usual suspects (in no particular order):

Rainbow Lorikeets
Noisy Miners
Indian Minahs
Wattle Birds
Galahs
Sulphur Crested Cockatoos
Long Beaked Corellas
Sparrows
Crested Pidgeons
Magpies
Pee Wees

and a visitor I haven’t seen for a few weeks:

Willy Wagtail!

Lucky you to have such colour !
Our birds are very sombre .

I haven’t logged them today Muddy, but off hand, I’d say your list pretty much looks like mine would. An interesting project though…:023:

We have a few nesting pigeons and collared doves across the road, and it always surprises me how quickly they disappear and all goes quiet when a family of hawks are circling high overhead…:surprised:

PS:- Add a gaggle of Geese gabbling away while flying overhead during my early morning run today. They were probably discussing my ridiculously slow pace…:frowning:

I would give anything to see flee flying parrots in my garden, you are so, so lucky Brucey. I know the cockatoos are noisy buggers but I wouldn’t care how loud they screamed. I’m so envious

I once saw the ‘Flying Pickets’ at Sheffield…

Only the Rainbow Lorikeets are colourful really, the magpies and willy wagtails are my favourites - magpies are the garden sound of Australia for me. The only similarity with the English magpie is the colour - ours are a type of butcher bird I believe.

Where I live I hear them more than Kookaburras.

I have trouble identifying birds at a distance these days.
I was delighted to see my male blackbird with a deformed wing in the garden today looking very fit and well.

I haven’t seen him for a while. He has been around about 5 years quite an achievement considering his deformed wing.

I love the way Magpies strut about the garden, they look like little waiters in their black suits and white shirts…:smiley:

Me too, Queenie. I would love to see those birds in the wild.

Muddy, that’s a good selection you have visiting.
They must approve of your cooking. :slight_smile:

At least someone does :slight_smile:

Hi

I am not a great Birdwatcher in that I know the common ones, but no idea about the rare ones.

I have one in my garden at the moment I cannot identifu, it isquite big.

I am fortunate enoug to live in Shrewsbury, we have a walk called the Kingfisher Way.

I fish it early mornings, keep still and I can have a Kingfisher perch on my fishing rod.

They catch more fish than I do.

We also have Otters, great to see,

When I do there will be no more fish around for a while, but worth watching the Otters.

Talking of parrots look what the little bastards have done to my VHF aerial. It is not the lorikeets but the Galahs that do the damge because the are bigger and delight in swinging upside down.

Some decades ago my old VHF TV aerial had to be replaced because the Sulphur Crests snapped off the sections of it.

We feed the birds and have both Lorikeets and Galahs amongst others.The smaller Lorikeets are top of the pecking order and the rest have to wait until they’ve finished.At the moment the apple tree outside my window is full of Rosellas.

At the moment we have a baby Butcher Bird practicing it’s singing,it’s not very good.

I have just braved the sub artic temperatures to put bird food out .
The birds are really hungry i think i am their first port of call .
They come they eat and than abandon the garden until later .

I’ve been out and fed the birds. I have to stand in the garden for a while to scare off the pigeons while the friendly blackbird and other smaller birds get something to eat.

The blackbird has built up a trust over the months. I see it standing on the grass waiting for food. When I go out, it comes towards me and is happy to feed only a few feet away. It’s almost become a pet that I feel I should look after.

There’s a bushy hedge at one side of the garden where blackbirds make a nest in the Spring. I think it is this friendly one and her mate.

There are plenty of parakeets in and around London. I’ve seen them in trees along the Thames.

I have added two new birds to my list

Rook
Jackdaw
Sparrow
Dunnet
Starling
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
Magpie
Blackbird
Robin
Chaffinch
Blue tit
Long tailed tit
Wag tail
Wren
Thrush
Chaffinch

Such a shame these colourful little birds .