Binge drinkers

Should we make excuses for people who binge drink . I know someone who would go weeks on end without a drink and would then make a conscious decision to take another drink knowing that it turns them into a nasty aggressive and selfish person. Knowing it affects the one’s around them because they bear tge brunt of that aggression.

Should we feel sorry for them.

I’m not sure what to think as I’m half feeling sorry and half feeling angry at the selfishness.

Your input appreciated here.

1 Like

I rarely drink nowadays apart from maybe a binge night when we visit or have friends over for a meal and catch up. Naturally the booze tends to make us talk even more nonsense that usual. The next day’s hangover tends to make me feel depressed (the well known side effect)

If it made any of us obnoxious, rude or aggressive then there’s be no fun in it whatsoever for any of us.

So, I don’t understand why the person you’re referring to would, in effect, deliberately want to upset others.

1 Like

Binge drinkers don’t care about the consequences. All they care about is “scratching the itch” and filling their alcohol needs. If anything happens as a result of this, then they blame the drink (as if it absolves them personally). So yes, you are very right to feel angry and say they are selfish, because they are.

2 Likes

Hi

Not if they know what they are like when drunk.

If, like me they just fall asleep and make an idiot of themselves, that is fine by me.

Alcohol is not an excuse for bad behaviour

1 Like

I am a bit of a binge drinker but fortunately I am a happy drunk.

It’s a coping mechanism. Some people aren’t as strong as others.

Trouble is that for those of us who are strong enough after perhaps having our own moment of epiphany or who have never had the urge in any case, having to live and/or deal with those who use alcohol (and other substances) to “cope” is made much harder by their weakness.

1 Like

Since binge drinkers are classified as gamma or epsilon alcoholics and because alcohol dependency, according to the Diagnose-Manual ICD-10 of the WHO, is a medical condition, they need professional treatment more than anything else.

1 Like