Bin Strike in Scotland

This Bin Strike in Edinburgh is getting bad, and now most of the other Councils across Scotland have joined them today… People are being told to keep their rubbish and not put it out. This sounds like a real Health Hazzard in the making to me.
People are using their baths to store it and some are hiring skips but the minute they turn their backs, it will fill up with other family’s rubbish. What a mess.

Bin strikes: The people using baths and hiring skips to store rubbish - BBC News

2 Likes

Don’t know if it is the same there Rox but our council tax pays for our bins to be emptied & it is listed as a service we we pay for. Perhaps residents should petition their councils for refunds if they are not providing the service .
I have an assisted collection where the bin men come to wheel my bin out and return it. A few months ago one team stopped collecting it so I wrote and told them they were not doing what I pay them to do, and if they didn’t sort it I would stop paying my council tax direct debit, till they did what I pay them to do. Three weeks later it was collected & hasn’t been missed since.
If the men are striking they aren’t getting paid , so the council are not doing what you pay them to do… why should they keep the money that covers the cost of emptying your bins?

1 Like

We were supposed to have out green bins (food and garden waste) emptied weekly during the summer months. This stopped during covid, but hasn’t re-started yet.

I just got off FaceTime with my daughter who lives in Edinburgh. She was walking by the canal, then home and she showed me the absolute horror of her street. We saw a rat darting under a bag of something. There is no way she can store rubbish in her house. Its been far too warm, there are flies, maggots, and now rats. Not going to happen.

I once experienced a ‘bin strike’ in HK of all places - usually so orderly! - can you imagine the size of the rats we saw there?