Billion+ lottery win

At more than £1,000,000,000 this win (not the biggest ever) is staggering. If this gigantic sum was simply dumped in a bank earning modest interest of 2% it would still be kicking out £20m a year. If the winner is, say, an average age of 40 and will live another 50 years he/she can spend £20m a year before interest is added in.
So here is the key philosophical question arising from such a staggering amount to have been won - how come its never me?

2 Likes

Nah, don’t matter, await the filum about the result.

It’s too much.I wouldn’t be that greedy.I’d be happy with just a million.

I liked a description by a mathematician recently about the odds of winning the major prize in a lottery (might have been Lotto). He said it was about the same as squirting tomato sauce off the top of the Eiffel Tower and finding that it had spelled out your name when it hit the ground.

Mind you, I still buy a ticket every Friday.

2 Likes

I think it`s an obscene amount to win imo.
The most i believe should be half of the amount or a good percentage and the rest shared between other ticket holders.

Unfortunately lottery companies know that a single enormous prize causes much better sales than a more even distribution of prize money (and apparently it is MUCH better sales). It is a fact of life.

Look at all the lotteries with a ‘Jackpot’ prize that accumulates over many draws, people don’t want the $200,000 first prize (or whatever) they want the jackpot, sales or rather frequency of draws when the jackpot is high demonstrate that in spades.

Yep, folks are Bonkers. :icon_wink:

It’s an interesting point. This paltry 2% that you cite will largely be at the expense of folk on lower tiers of the capitalist pyramid.

Dex, the lower echelons have never had it so good. :icon_wink:

If we won that, my wife would evenly distribute it to every shoe, dress, handbag and jewellery shop in a fifty mile radius.

As still claim she has nothing to wear.

1 Like

Love it Graham…Mrs Fox exclaimed that she is a woman, and that’s what we do… :open_mouth:

It’s a sad situation when most people in the civilised world survive on dreams of great fortune instead of appreciating the world around them.

2 Likes