Big Hike in Car Insurance

I’ve just received my new quote from Churchill for next years car insurance. Wow! A whopping £120 increase on it. I have made no claims for years, and have done little mileage, so this came as a big shock. I immediately went on Go Compare to find a better price, bur low and behold, their best price was higher than Churchills! There is an article in The Independent which it explains in more detail, but I’m unable to download it. Happy Days! :scream: :scream:

2 Likes

Its to pay that Wombats Wages :icon_wink:

1 Like

Here’s a link and extract:

Car insurance premiums have rocketed by almost 50 per cent over the past year, with millennials and older drivers hit hardest.

Exclusive data from the analyst Consumer Intelligence, which looks at quotes from Confused.com, Go Compare, Compare the Market and MoneySuperMarket, reveals that average premiums rose by 48 per cent on average in the 12 months to June 2023. Premiums are now at their highest since the start of 2018.

Car insurance is fast becoming one of the most expensive household bills, adding more financial pain at a time of high inflation and surging mortgage rates and rents.

In June, economists Ernst and Young warned that 2022 had been a difficult year for insurers and forecast that premiums would rise 16 per cent by the end of 2023. But the latest figures show that they’ve already soared four times higher.

David Trenner, 67, was last month shocked to discover that Esure was hiking the annual premium for his Renault Clio from £283 to £547 – a 93 per cent increase. “I expected a small increase because of inflation, but not 93 per cent,” he said.

Other drivers with insurers such as LV and Direct Line have also complained about eye-watering increases.

According to Consumer Intelligence, those aged 25 to 39 and 65 and over have been hardest hit by car insurance rises, with average premiums jumping by more than 50 per cent. Drivers in Scotland and London have seen their premiums rise the most.

It comes as executives at the top five firms were handed six- and seven-figure salaries and bonuses last year. Admiral Group gave a total of £2.15m to its chief executive Milena Mondini de Focatiis and £1.23m to chief financial officer Geraint Jones, while Aviva’s chief executive Amanda Blanc earned £5.52m.

It’s a long article and the topic is covered elsewhere, too:

Flippin’ outrageous … :rage:

1 Like

Blimming heck! My brother has dodged a bullet then, by giving up driving. Mine is due January and is high because of the two bumps I did. I won’t benefit from lower quotes till 2024/2025 I think. Can’t remember now.

Yup, since it was outlawed to offer new customers cheaper deals prices have risen, it’s a bit like when women were given the same retirement age as men, it went up to 65/6, and not down to 60, funny how it doesn’t hamper the chief execs pay and bonuses though, same as the water company bosses getting huge payouts for meeting their environmental targets despite pumping tons of raw sewage into our waterways and seas…

1 Like

Trouble is “Ordinary” folks are employed by these organisations who, naturally want annual pay increases and progression etc etc so, in pursuance of the game, folks are ripping themselves off