Beware of the Parrott-Close Your Ears

IMG_0404

A group of foul-mouthed parrots is being transferred to a bigger flock in the hope it will clean up their language . Lincolnshire Wildlife Park said it took the decision after five African greys taught three more birds to swear, but acknowledged it was a risk: “We could end up with 100 swearing parrots.”
The Knowledge

4 Likes

The account I read mentioned that in the large flock of parrots, about 30 of them imitate the bleeping sound of reversing lorries / trucks - I think I’d rather hear the swearing than the repetitive bleeping of a reversing vehicle!

Will they end up with a whole bleeping flock of bleeping parrots cussing and swearing in between bleeping? - I suppose the bleeping parrots could time their bleeps to censor the swear words! :rofl:

2 Likes

These little fellas could be trained to talk as I remember, real mimics.
My gran had a budgie that had picked up one or two words and would sometimes string them together :scream:

3 Likes

Oh yeah…I had one budgie that had an extensive vocabulary :grinning:

1 Like

Interestingly, there was a letter in my daily newspaper this morning about a boy who taught his mother’s budgie to say “Here kitty, kitty” :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve had over six budgies, mostly when my kids were growing up. Yes, I took two weeks to train them to come on a finger, then other tricks. One would land on my hubby’s chest while he was napping on the couch, then on his cheek, and gently lift his eyelashes! True story!
Others were talkers, one played with legos on the floor with my kids, bring them a lego, and set it in front of them. Another one would play hide and seek with them, fly through the house to find them.

There was Chipper, Max, Godfrey, Fanny Hill, Frostie…love these birds. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Our neighbours had a budgie, called Joey, he’d been taught to talk by the neighbours late Mother & being virtually house bound she’d done nothing but chat to him, neighbours inherited Joey & we looked after him for them sometimes when they went away. I had never heard a budgie with such a large volcabulary, he was amazing.
I have had budgies before, male ones, baby’s from the aviary, OH used to breed them, but they’d never learnt to talk like Joey.

3 Likes

Yes, budgies could be great fun! We had one called Tommy when I was really young. He would be let out of his cage in the front room and get up to all sorts of antics. He could speak too but I can’t for the life of me remember what he’d say although I know he didn’t use robust language :wink:

Sadly he got too smart for his own good, we moved into the countryside and Tommy’s cage would from time to time be moved out onto the patio. Despite being only six to this day I can recall him using his beak to open the little catch on his cage door. The last I ever saw of him he was flying off into the distance over a field. I doubt he survived long in the wild.

People don’t seem to keep budgies indoors as much these days, I guess attitudes change and keeping caged birds isn’t acceptable in the same way it was all those years ago.

Oh, the cute toys on the sofa belonged to my sister…nuffink to do with me! :wink:

2 Likes

My Great Aunt used to have a Mynah bird called Mick - it used to mimic lots of sounds around the home - his rendition of a whistling kettle often fooled people into thinking that they’d left the gas stove on under the kettle!
He also picked up several phrases he heard my Great Aunt and Uncle say - whenever I visited, as soon as I stepped through the front door straight into their living room, Mick would call out “Shut the bl**dy door!” :rofl:

2 Likes

A friend of my parents used to have I think a parrot and when you went in the kitchen he would call out really loudly “two sugars”

When you were going he would say "Ta-ra a bit "

Sure he said other things but these made me laugh when I was little.

2 Likes

Some colourful :parrot: language, they can repeat at their leisure. A unique attraction that could have people flocking to see [and hear] them.

1 Like

If you go on Youtube there are lots of video’s of parrots talking some even answer their peoples questions. They don’t all just mimic. Giz does swear a bit.

1 Like