Ben Wallace to quit as defence secretary at next Cabinet reshuffle

Ben Wallace told the Sunday Times he would not stand at the next general election, but ruled out leaving “prematurely” and triggering a by-election.

Mr Wallace has served as defence secretary under three different PMs and played a high-profile role in the UK’s response to the war in Ukraine.

Sources told the BBC they expect the next reshuffle in September.

His Wyre and Preston North constituency is set to disappear under upcoming boundary changes and he told the newspaper he would not seek a new one.

The announcement comes after days of speculation that he might leave government after four years in the role.

He has previously served as a minister in the Northern Ireland department and in the Home Office.

The BBC understands Mr Wallace informed Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on 16 June of his decision to stand down from the Cabinet.

Mr Wallace told the Sunday Times: “I went into politics in the Scottish parliament in 1999. That’s 24 years. I’ve spent well over seven years with three phones by my bed.”

Another high-profile Tory to head for rich pickings on the lecture circuit.

1 Like

Following the money.

No hope of winning the next GE, and a lot more will resign rather than be on the opposition side of HOC if they were re-elected.

1 Like

To be fair to Ben, he’s not been a greedy bugger and is not in the “big league”. The value of Mr Wallace’s interests puts him in the bottom 26 per cent of all MPs. Since the start of the current parliament, 484 members have taken in more money than him. Since the beginning of the current parliament at the end of 2019, Mr Wallace has declared five financial interests, worth the equivalent of approximately £6,760

Theresa May is top of the earnings table: