Beauty of Scotland ranked (if that's possible) - Dunnottar Castle

So in the Daily Record they share some survey of the most instagramable (what’s that? it ain’t a real word) places in Scotland. All the usual pretty places are there - Glen Coe, Glenfinnan Viaduct, etc.). All very expected.
But at number #7 on the list is the one and only Dunnottar Castle, right next to where I grew up.
This stunning ruin of a castle perches on a sea stack overlooking the grey North Sea. It is famous for being the location for the 1990 film Hamlet with Mel Gibson and Glenn Close. It should be more famous for being besieged by Cromwell (what was the roundhead doing up there?) while the Scottish crown jewels were stashed there. It is now probably even more famous for being one of the screen saver picture from Microsoft.
That last bit has depressed me.

1 Like

Scotland has some beautiful places - yes, I am biased. But not totally. We had a farm on the Grampians near Kirriemuir. I probably didn’t appreciate when I was there. Hills, lochs, and castles. Kinordy, Lintrathen are just a few miles away.

Kirriemuir - isn’t that the home town of J M Barrie?
And the gateway to the five glens!

Dunnottar Castle does look rather spectacular, grrr two photobombers

4 Likes

Thats the one!. One of my teachers knew him. She called him “Wee Peem” because of his size.

I like Glamis Castle too. Eluzbeth II was the child home for her.

1 Like

How magical … I love it.

1 Like

Last time we were over at Dunnottar they had recreated the dining room as it used to be, in the main living part of the castle. The ceiling was lovely.
This was down in the old kitchens.

This was in the dining room.

2 Likes

We lived in Fife for about six months in Culross (called Cuross locally) with some interesting sites. One was the Wek Kirk with Bernestine monks. A plague wiped them in around 1344 but the building remains.

Nothing says, “Scotland”, more than an old man in a skirt. :wink:

1 Like

They don’t look out of puff, so I guess they chickened out of the steps to the castle. Only around 200 up then down again. :rofl:

2 Likes

Interesting photos Rox….

Took a good few that day but phones didn’t have good cameras then. Always meant to go back and this time with the decent camera.

This?

I knew that fellow.