BBC - The Gallows Pole - Drama Series

This series had received good reviews, although some had reservations, so I decided to “give it a go”.

It started well enough but as Dave entered the village and into conversation, both the “acting” and the “script” began to grate, as did the “modern” music soundtrack.

Apparently, the villagers were knowledgeable first responders, entreating the stabbed Dave “don’t go to sleep” and “stay with us, lad” but when Dave was addressed as “bro” the links to modernity proved too much for me … :man_shrugging:

TBH, I should have been warned off by the assertion that the badly wounded Dave had walked 120 miles from Birmingham to Cragg Vale.

1 Like

I often start watching a programme I think sounds interesting but abandon watching it after the first episode, or even part-way through it, if I find it annoying or it is not as good or enjoyable as I’d expected it to be.

I haven’t watched any of this series yet but I thought the topic it explores sounds very interesting, so I may check it out for myself.

It had a great Review in The Guardian

2 Likes

That’s one of the reviews that read … and, of course, the “rough-hewn” production values may appeal to others … :man_shrugging:

The script framework is written by Meadows, but, as with all his previous work, the actors have freely improvised and contributed along the way.

Hence the anachronistic “bro”, which younger audiences may accept as natural.

I haven’t started Gallows Pole yet but will give it a try.

As said by Boot I often start a series and give up after the first episode.
An example was £10 poms , just to much going on from the start alcoholism, racism, and a hit-and-run …

I thought the whole thing was dire. Everyone looked extremely well fed for an area that was supposed to be near starving. All clean and tidy, young ladies showing their top kit, effing this and effing that. I remember a scene where someone walks in to a farmyard, just past a low brick wall looking brand new, and beautifully pointed. I lasted 30 minutes, before this cowpat got the better of me. Do’nt let me put you off it though! :worried: :confused: :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

Quite … white pots on a polished table, too … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes those women do look buxom. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve given it a try …No not my cup of tea .
To gritty, to much effing and Jeffing.

1 Like