BBC and the Olympics

Don’t the BBC realize they have more than one channel at their disposal, why clog up the pole position with Olympic Matter?

1 Like

Saves them the bother of producing anything else!

They did the same with football and tennis, but worse we have to pay the licence fee NOT to watch television during that time if we are not into sport. :shock: :frowning:

Yes Baz, there is a pattern emerging.

… and they have the cheek to call it Freeview!!

I totally agree. There is an assumption that the entire world is agog and glued to the screen when there is any major sporting event taking place. Yes, it does attract a huge audience, but surely if that audience is that keen to watch all the coverage of the Olympics/Wimbledon/European Cup, they would have no trouble finding it on BBC2, 3 or 4. Why completely wipe the usual BBC1 schedule and annoy those of us who have no more than a passing interest? :mad2:

I was thinking the same this morning. The morning news programme is now the Olympics followed by a programme mainly about the Olympics. As Spitfire says, why not have a dedicated channel, it would please everyone, those who like sport and those who hate it. They could stick the Balding woman on there for the whole day and rid us of her moosh on BBC1 & 2.

Perhaps they should have stuck to hardware.

https://www.over50sforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16427&d=1627461901

I agree, Spitty.
There should be a sports channel, and ALL sport shown on there instead of interfering with usual programmes.

And another thing while I’m having a moan - I am fed up with buying TV Guides only to find the actual programmes are not remotely like the magazine guide says! :twisted:

Someone was complaining on the radio about the huge cut in hours dedicated to the Olympics on TV this year .

I guess you can’t please everyone and sports enthusiasts (I am not one of them ) pay their licence fee too.
Also being summer time, if it wasn’t sport being shown it would be endless repeats until the autumn schedule begins.

Don’t buy them! The link below is to a FREE TV guide to most channels (I guess) and is probably more accurate as it can be updated far more easily and quicker. It also has programmes by category if you wish. Also this current guide covers programming up until 10 August:

Thank you for that Baz, I’d never heard of it. :023:

MInd you, don’t you find it a bit of a pain to keep having to go put your computer on to see what’s on next?
Time mine warms up the programme would be half finished. :smiley:

No you don’t.
I’m not into sport (except maybe cricket) and I haven’t paid the BBC Tax for over a year.
I’ve found that there’s more worth watching without a TV licence than with.

Mr Mags renewed out TV Licence this morning, mainly for himself as I don’t watch a lot of TV. :slight_smile:

Even then there’ll be repeats of some programmes especially during the daytime.

:023: You are welcome Mups.

No problem at all, definitely not a pain as either my desktop or laptop computers are on all the time. Even when they are not it takes a very short while from starting up to being able to access any website. They are both Macs, so none of the length of time I understand Windows machines take to boot up. I just tried it to see for sure and from switching on to being able to view that website was one minute and ten seconds. :wink: :slight_smile:

Good grief. Mine is still clicking, whirring and grunting, wondering what to do in that time!

(Bit like some husbands). :lol:

So is my desktop.

Not me, I know which side my bread is buttered. :023:

I have seen your previous posts on not having a licence JBR. Getting a new TV and cancelling the BBC Licence, plus having either FreeSat or Freeview, is on my list to sort out before the winter. Fridays and weekends I find there’s very little on the terrestrial channels so resort to others and as you write, there’s more to watch. :wink: :slight_smile:

Mups, This is what l was about to say!
It’s a pain to have to move the arrow to show the next lot of programmes, or scroll down.
At least with a TV book, it’s at hand to read at my leisure, easier to negotiate and costs pence to buy.