Bathsheba's makes

Well it took me a long while, what with the heatwave stopping all work, and then being away at my son’s for a week, but I’ve finally finished the memory bear for my daughter’s neighbour, after she lost her dad.

Cutting apart the shirts, sorting and ironing the pieces

Head and arms sewn up

Turning the completed bear in the right way - this felt almost impossible, as the gap I’d left was really quite small. I thought I’d never get it all through the gap, but finally I have an empty bear waiting to be stuffed!

Stuffing the bear - legs and feet stuffed first, then the arms, head, and finally his tum. I embroidered a message on the soles of his feet :heart:

Sewing up the hole in his back and doing the face. He’s finished!!! He has a slightly wonky muzzle, which I couldn’t correct without unstuffing, unpicking and realigning. Didn’t want to risk doing this because the fabric frays and it could all have gone belly up. So I decided his wonky muzzle gave him character! Lou, my daughter’s neighbour, was thrilled with him when I took him round this afternoon, and was in tears when my daughter pointed out the embroidered feet, which was a little extra that she hadn’t expected :teddy_bear: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

How lovely, a wonderful way to keep her Dad close to her.

1 Like

What a lovely idea. He is beautiful, Bathsheba!

1 Like

Thank you @Maver-rik and @SilverTabby :blush:

This is lovely . We’ll done xx

1 Like

Oh that is simply adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you so much @LionQueen and @Minx :blush:

Oh this had me tearing up for a second! What a lovely special bear! And yes the “wonky” muzzle does make it so unique! :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks @PixieKnuckles. I have to confess I was feeling choked seeing Lou’s reaction - but I did smile inwardly as she peeled her false eyelashes off because she was crying :wink:

3 Likes

What a lovely thought @Bathsheba I would have been in tears too.

1 Like

Thanks @Mags, I think these things are always emotional aren’t they? I’ve got plenty of fabric left over so I’m going to make her a little patchwork cushion as well, free of charge to make up for the time this one took me (and the wonky muzzle!!)

1 Like

You are a Star @Bathsheba , Ihad not heard of these memory Bears before , .What a good Idea .
My daughter took 2 of her dads shirts last year in memory of him .

1 Like

Thank you so much Eliza. There are lots of people who make these - if your daughter is interested she could look on Etsy, or just Google memory bears.

I have only just found this thread, but I am in awe of your skills. I can do stuff with gert big lumps of wood, but I can’t stich or sow to save my life.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Fruitcake. And I could not begin to create the amazing things you do with gert big lumps of wood!! I guess we all have our different skills, and I am in awe of yours, and of many others on here :blush:

2 Likes

You certainly have an amazing gift there,Bathsheba.

You are a superb seamstress,if that’s the right word…they all look so professional and perfect!..:heartpulse:

1 Like

Thank you so much @pauline3 :blush:

1 Like

I finished this today. It’s a gift for a neighbour who’s recently come home after an 8 month stay in hospital. So pleased for her that she’s home at last!
She’s having several visitors, understandably, and I’m busy for the next couple of days. So we’ve finally settled on Saturday afternoon for a cuppa and catch-up. I hope she likes it!

5 Likes

That’s absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Oh and also, I made my daughter’s neighbour a memory cushion as well. It just felt so wrong and wasteful to throw out all the leftover fabric from the memory bear!

7 Likes