Basic indoor plant care?

Yours look so healthy. Your peacelilly is beautiful. Mine live in the bathroom. Can I ask do you put them where ever you want or do you go by spots best suited to plant type? I’m always taking babies off mine, hence 91.lol . I’m going to turn my spare room into a plant room, it gets the sun and is always light so I’m thinking herbs and tomato plants and maybe even a couple of dwarf citrus trees, and a chair lol. I pay 50 odd quid a month bedroom tax so maybe it’s time it paid for itself. I’m into herbal teas and would like to make my own mixes.

2 Likes

Those look amazing, Ripple. You must have a green thumb. I used to have the plant with the white flower long ago but it didn’t look anywhere near as vibrant as yours. It always looked a little sad and droopy even though it had a good amount of sun.

2 Likes

Hello May
Your plant with wavy edge leaves in the large red pot …. What is it :heart_eyes: love it.
How long do you spend looking after your collection.
I only buy easy plants

Both the peace lilies are in north facing rooms they seem to enjoy that clear light you get from the north , yes one is in the bathroom .

1 Like

I think you’ve solved your droopy Lily problem, preferring a slightly shady position

2 Likes

Hi, it’s a calathea, the leaves are velvety to touch, I can’t be near her without stroking them.lol. fairly low maintenance prefers to be watered from underneath but that’s it. I killed my peacock plant by top watering. There are a few different types of calathea and they’re all lovely plants. I had to start from scratch again but getting there slowly again.

3 Likes

Wow - amazing plants @Mayhem and @Ripple ! And Rip, your plants look so big and healthy! How long did it take for them to grow that big?

2 Likes

Hi Azz
I bought all my plant from Lidl and Aldi they are cheap about £6 easy to grow plants.
The Peace lilies ,Dracaena 18 months
The cheese plant was £8 a year ago, find the right place for it, it’s unstoppable! they need good light. Will put another pic up after the summer growth :joy:
The palm about 2 yrs it was bigger , however when I moved a friend looked after it for me …palm suffered , I’ve got it back now
It’s made a good recovery , grown 2 fronds already this year.

I use miracle Gro

3 Likes

That’s a lot cheaper than mine were from Amazon - I’m gonna try and pop into Aldi one day to see what they’ve got!

My cheese plant has grown well too! Followed by the White Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia nicolai).

The Chamaedorea Elegans has stayed about the same and the Snake Plant has grown a tiny bit.

I think I’ve killed my weeping fig by over-feeding it and the Nephrolepis Boston Fern isn’t looking too great either :icon_redface:

4 out of 6 isn’t too bad I suppose :lol:

I had to look up what a Cheese plant was but it is very similar to a Monsteria Deliciousa (sp?) which grew well in my garden but never produced edible fruit for some reason (they are called Fruit Salad plant here).

As for Bird of Paradise plant I had to mattock the damn thing out of my garden because it was pushing the footpath out of the way, they are absolutely relentless.

I have to be honest and say I have no indoor plants only artificial ones all indoor plants do is just die slowly.

To pinch or not to pinch?

I have just potted on this young Habanero chilli from the garden centre.
I’m in a bit of a dilemma as wether or not to nip out the tip to encourage lateral shoots . Ultimately that would produce a bushier less leggy plant but at the cost of setting back it’s development by several weeks.

Decisions decisions.