Bank of Gran/Grandad

When we got married in 1967 we bought a two roomed flat in Aberdeen for £500. Shared toilet in the stairs. We stayed there for 3 years then sold the flat for £750. We bought a new 2 bedroom semi detached bungalow in the outskirts of Aberdeen for £4,300. My take home pay in those days was £19 for a five and a half day week. We are still in the same house to this day.

1 Like

Sounds like Mrs Fox and me Scot…Similar experience except in Doncaster…

No we always lived in Surrey so going to the west midlands near Cannock was a hugh jump. We looked for an animal boarding establishment virtually nation wide but asking prices limited us as well as getting a mortgage. So not only the move but also doing something we had very little knowledge of let alone business management. The kennels were run down to almost nothing building wise and few customers . This to the extent of only about 350 clients on the books. It took about. 7 years to get established as known new owners, and on a knife edge to keep going. So did extensive modernisation during that time with hardly a day off. It was a case of had to make it work or go under . When we sold we built the business up so much we had 5,000+ client on the books giving us enough money to retire on. The kennels were licenced for 116 dogs and 42 cats and told by the environmental inspector he was willing to increase the cat licence if we wanted. Great guy and ended up more of a friend. I could write a book on what was done to improve the place from new cat pens to converting a stable block to isolation section and grooming parlour. Adding alarms and security lighting to CCTV to rebuilding brick partition walls and new mesh fronts. That and more such as replacing dangerous electrical wiring and new paddock secure metal sectional fencing . At least all that hard graft put money into our pocket and not some lazy management or company

I take it all back what I said about you realspeed…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Well! Most of it…