Bank card replacements

Why do they not make bank cards to last?

Mine never even make it to the expiry date, before the silver coloured lettering rubs off. Then I am left trying to read navy blue lettering on a navy blue background!

What bright spark designed these cards and put the same colour numbers on the same colour background?
If they designed these things better they wouldnt have to make twice as many cards as replacements, so would save money, surely.
Then we have the hassle of ordering a new card, that has a new number, and we then have to alter our details on online accounts like PayPal for example, to change our account details.

Then lo and behold, before our nice new card gets anywhere near its expiry date, we have to start the whole thing all over again!
Why dont they fix this? Surely they can design lettering that lasts? Grrrr . . . .

2 Likes

Our last replacements have a 5year life rather than the previous 3 years. It must have something to do with “tap and go” payment instead of putting your card into the machine before entering your PIN.

1 Like

I’ve never had that problem with any of my cards, but then I keep them in a card wallet where each has its own clear plastic segment to protect them.

1 Like

I never have an issue with mine, but Mr B does. I’ve always put it down to the fact that he keeps his cards in his back pocket, so they’re all rubbing against each other, whereas I keep mine in a silver security envelope inside my purse.

2 Likes

Oh I know what you mean, Mups! Mine has most of the silver stuff off now. I’m due a new one in a couple of months time but its still a nuisance. However, what I did was make a pencil rubbing over it and taped that to the fridge, so the number is visible should I require it for anything.

It doesn’t answer your question though, and yes its frustrating. I suppose when you get a new card you could put it in a clear plastic card holder of some sort? :woman_shrugging:

I guess I don’t use mine enough. :thinking:

1 Like

Actually, to be fair these days I only use mine at the self-service fuel pumps or car park machines. Everything else I pay for with my Apple watch, a habit I developed because of the pandemic as it cut down having to touch things.

1 Like

Plus now they have those chips where sometimes you just swipe that and it’s instant.

1 Like

True, but there is usually a limit on how much you can spend using the card that way. With the watch there’s no limit, chiefly because it has to be on my wrist and linked to my iPhone to work.

1 Like

you could take a piccie of your card when it’s still legible and have it on your phone’s gallery.

Well this is interesting. That limit thing can be a bit of a hassle at times. That sounds like a very cool watch. Not meaning to take the topic off course but when you were younger, did you ever think something like this would be possible? A watch that does it all. For bigger purchases we use a Costco credit card cause they offer us a percentage back that we then use when we shop there. It works out pretty good. It’s paid off monthly but now I’m going to check out the watch. I’d probably lose it, knowing me.

I guess we are still talking about money cards. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes you’re right, Sheba, but they recently upped the contactless limit to £100.
I think you can use this amlunt up to three times in a day, and after that you’d have to put your pin number in if you wanted to spend more in that 24 hrs.

Whoops. Just looked that up, and the three times limit does not appear to apply any more.

1 Like

Yes, my cards are kept in separate compartments too but it doesnt stop the problem.
The lady at the bank today said they hear lots of customers say the same.
I replied that in that case you’d think something would have been done about it.

1 Like

I have a debit card - but not a contactless one - won’t have one of those, and I memorise the number.

I take it you mean you memorise the pin number, Tabby, not your card number?

1 Like

No, I don’t imagine I did! And it makes me wonder what technology my grandchildren will be using by the time they’re my age. D’you reckon everyone will have a computer chip embedded in their wrist by then? Doing everything at the command of their voice?

Or will we all have been blown sky high by then, and the planet will be starting over…

1 Like

It’s not that hard to remember numbers, I can still remember pi from school days…It’s 9.11223344 lol

lol I thought you were serious for a minute about pi.

I don’t use my card at all. I buy pretty much everything online. Even before that I didn’t use it all that much.

I do remember a time when I was traveling a lot that the colour on the numbers of the card would rub off but I could still see the numbers.

No - I meant the long number on the front - I never need to look at the card when ordering anything on line.

I don’t think the expiry date on a card has anything to do with its expected longevity. The number and the date are part of its security system and together form an instant check that it is a real card and not a fraud.

Don’t have a clue how it works but there must be a checksum or something similar that each verify the other. The verification number on the back of the card probably adds another layer of security to this relationship