Baltimore Bridge Brought Down

A portion of a major bridge in the US city of Baltimore has collapsed after a large ship collided with it, sending multiple vehicles into the water.

I saw this on social media. It was absolutely shocking because you can see cars still driving up and down just before it happens. I can only think of those poor people trapped underwater.

Absolutely shocking how did the captain not see the bridge and know he would not fit under. wonder if they know how many are in the cars that went in the water at moment they just saying 7 people reported missing.

I would have expected the vessel to be under the direction of a fully accredited Pilot, but obviously not so in this case, unless there was a steering/power failure.

Hells Bells! lets hope the people who entered the water are saved. The ship appears to have hit a stanchion holding up the bridge and then it collapses like a pack of cards.
Not something you want to happen on your drive into work…

Whoever the driver of that ship is has some damn good answers as to how this happened.
I just hope everyone got out of the water safely,poor souls.

That is horrible, those poor people must have been terrified, I so hope they’re able to save them

You really never know what’s going to happen next in life, do you?

1 Like

It looks like the ship had a complete power failure and lost steering. They were able to send out a distress signal and the roadway to the bridge was blocked by police.

A situation you would only imagine happening in a disaster movie, not only was the cargo ship misaligned with the highest part of the bridge, it hit a pillar, it doesn’t get much worse than that
Awful tragedy

According to the radio this morning the bridge was built in the 1970s and was constricted with protection against a ship colliding with the pylons.

It has been hit once before but since the 1970s ships have been made much larger to sizes unimaginable 50 years ago so the protective shields would have been ineffective against such a large vessel.

A pilot from Port Kembla rung in to say that if the vessel had a tug attached the collision could have been prevented but ports and ships have cut down on such expenses.

Baltimore harbour is effectively closed until the wreckage of the bridge can be removed which could take ages and it will be years before a new bridge in constructed - apparently it was an important ring road.

Yes, that was implemented, BUT the bridge surface repair crew was left to fend for themselves. What the heck, they were only Guatemalan men so nobody alerted them :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I thought that, they got overlooked when the alarm went out :frowning:

There are a few unanswered questions, a few why was and why wasn’ts, lets hope the answers are the genuine reasons as to why

If we ever get to know the truth Darren…

I don’t think there would have been time to clear the bridge of the workmen. There are still some cars driving over the bridge, the distress signal was only minutes before the ship hit the bridge when the crew realised there was nothing they could do to prevent the tragic accident.

Where there’s blame there’s claim. Lots of claim it seems.

The conspiracy theories are really taking off now, with the latest being the ships control system was hacked and the bridge collision was the result :man_shrugging:

Immigrants don’t seem to be welcome in the USA these days.But who is going to do the shit jobs?