Baking or Cooking -- Which is more fun?

Maree my main worry is the wasted ingredients if it all goes wrong. Physically we put so much effort into a cake, but often we don’t realise it can cost £££s.

1 Like

Yes, that is a worry, that’s why I’m starting simple and building up

With the lemon drizzle, Victoria sponge or cup cakes I can always use them up in trifle if they’re no good

Pastry was a bit trial and error but I’ve mastered it now and pastry isn’t too expensive for ingredients

But suffice to say, we had a lot of pastry thingies disguised with custard and alcohol, and a lot of things with crumble on top, while I practised! :scream::pie::pie:

2 Likes

Can you put a metal baking tin into the air fryer tray? I can’t find any decent instructions on what you can and can’t put in. It seems you can put foil in. I’ve roasted more than one chicken with great success. Worried about putting the wrong thing in and sparks flying around the kitchen!

1 Like

Yes, you can. There’s lots of special silicon cookware on offer but I just use my normal tins and trays and foil is fine

I think calling them air -fryers causes confusion

Really, they’re just mini electric fan ovens and you can use anything in them you’d use in your big oven

2 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance. I might have a go without worrying about blowing the fusebox :slight_smile:

1 Like

Baking is too precise for me. I’m with the Keith Floyd philosophy of cooking - slap in good stuff, create flavour as you go along, and equal measures of wine for the pot and for the cook. Music on, wine bottle open and sharpen the knives: a joy, even just if its for me but best when its for others too.

2 Likes

I dislike cooking and baking it’s all messy so both get a big NO from me.
I eat a lot of veg/food raw !
However I do make fruit cakes, scones , jams , pickles , chutney and a few vegetarian recipes .

2 Likes

Rice is something I struggle with. Mine never remotely looks or tastes like anything from an Indian restaurant.
I really need to practice, I love pilau .

1 Like

Cooking should never be messy, imo. I like the precision of cooking - and the tidy & clean as you go. I suspect that if the cooking becomes messy then something is being done wrong.
I struggled with the dough mix for flat breads for a while, claggy wet dough sticking to my hands and work top. Then I worked out its best to mix the water and oil in with a fork in a bowl and aim for a drier dough before kneading. A lot less mess. Technique is key me thinks.
Right, off to the market to get veg for the roast this afternoon and strong mountain cheese for afters.

1 Like

If you have a multicooker or a rice cooker, the results can be more uniform. Just needs the right amount of water for that type and amount of rice. Once that’s figured out, it can be duplicated more often.

1 Like

I have neither alas. I’ll just persevere, it’s a challenge, I get to eat the results regardless. I’m definitely going down the pilau route…need to get some mustard seeds in town this week.

1 Like

When I say messy … anything other than making a cup of Instant decaf coffee comes onto the heading of messy !
Example, stacking dishwasher unstacking dishwasher ,opening cupboards doors to retrieve items such as mixing bowls ,utensils and ingredients… what a faff . I Do occasionally make a fruit cake , summer it’s jams and pickles but that’s it !
I like my kitchen showroom style The interior of my oven, worktops are polished sink and taps too ….that’s the way aha aha I like it.
OCD style

1 Like

I used to have a nicer kitchen when I ordered takeout every day. I remember those days fondly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A Vesta meal and a bottle of Blue Nun…nun rhymes with fun right?

How do you prepare your rice? Perhaps I can give you some pointers?

1 Like

I enjoy both cooking and baking but there was no option to chose both. :040:

1 Like

Thank you Minx, that’s very kind.
In the first instance is it worth splashing out on quality rather than a cheapo brand?

My rice tends to turn to mush no matter how I rinse prior to cooking, drain, gently simmer etc.

It usually ends up looking like wallpaper paste
Oh , and I appreciate that rice is a big topic so thanks in advance for any pointers :slightly_smiling_face:

The brand of rice is not important. Try this method and let me know how it goes then I can share with you some other rice recipes.

How to cook white rice.

Ingredients:

1 kettle boiling water
1 cup (250ml) white rice ( basmati rice is cooked slightly differently)
1/2 teaspoon fine salt

Method

You’ll need a good sized pot with a lid.
Put the rice into the pot and wash/rinse the rice under water and throw the water out carefully.
Add the salt.
Add the boiling water to just over half way level
Put the pot on the stove at high heat to boil and drop the heat to medium once it’s reached boiling point.
Leave the lid off.
Top the water up now and then if it reduces (use boiling water only).
Cook for 25-30 minutes.
Once cooked to your liking- grains soft and fluffy, take the pot off the heat.

Now comes the weird part, drain out all the water by placing your rice into a colander. Decant into the pot and cover with the lid. Voila - perfectly cooked rice everytime!

Serves 4 people comfortably.

1 Like

Superb!
Thank you Minx, that looks fairly painless.
I shall give it a go during the week, my son is studying hospitality at college, I have the feeling it’s something we’ll do together… I’ll get back to you with the results :+1:

1 Like

Good luck! Just go easy on the salt :salt: it’s a flat 1/2 a teaspoon and not heaped. Watch the rice so you’ll know when it’s perfectly cooked. :023:

1 Like