Baking or Cooking -- Which is more fun?

When I was young, I liked to bake easy treats like box brownies or simple cakes with drizzle frosting.

As I got older, I rarely baked and did a tiny bit more cooking, if you could call it that.

Cooking or baking - Which do you prefer?
  • Cooking
  • Baking
  • Neither

0 voters

I find baking tedious tbh.

1 Like

I hate to do any form of cooking. I do watch Bake Off though. :grinning:

1 Like

I no longer ‘bake’ as I tend to deploy my large multi function (combination) microwave oven. That can ‘bake’ in next to no time with excellent results.

1 Like

Any sort of cooking for me I don’t differenciate between the two, I just love being in the kitchen making stuff. :man_cook:

3 Likes

I spent 50+ years cooking /baking followed by the washing up , it was a chore. I only cook to survive , some days I dont cook I have a Sandwich , I like those days .

3 Likes

Sorry Barry, I forgot to add another choice in the poll for both.

Makes sense there would be a lot of people who like both. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yup, another one for both here, I love all cooking, my results are a bit dubious sometimes :rofl::nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Cooking.

1 Like

Me too.At the moment I’m having to look after myself,it’s amazing how many things you can have on bread.

1 Like

I usually bugger up microwave/ready meals.
Peel back the film add a tablespoon of water etc.
Maybe my heart isn’t in it.

2 Likes

I try not to bake these days. Just seems such an extravagance with energy prices. Baking was nice in the old days when we didn’t have to worry about the cost and the environment.

2 Likes

I’m learning with a lot of trial and error, how to bake in my airfryer. I’ve got one of these ones that are more like a mini oven and I think I’ve mastered pastry and pies in it and I did a lemon drizzle cake last week which came it well. I’m going to try for a sponge cake next

It uses a lot less power than my big oven

5 Likes

I once burned jelly trying to make it quickly by melting it in a saucepan ……

I think I could probably burn water :nose:

1 Like

I had planned to do this but haven’t been brave enough to make a cake yet. It’s so difficult to find the right instructions for traditional cake recipes.

1 Like

I used to bake when the kids were small but as they got bigger nothing even made it to the cake tin! We have a nice little bakery in the village and if we fancy a cake on Sunday teatime I just pop over and buy one!

1 Like

It really is. There was a lemon drizzle one that came in the recipe book with my air fryer, so I started with that

It’s a good recipe book, lots of nice ideas, I think I’ll try the scones too

https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/pages/tower-airfryer-recipe-book

2 Likes

Maree my main worry is the wasted ingredients if it all goes wrong. Physically we put so much effort into a cake, but often we don’t realise it can cost £££s.

1 Like

Yes, that is a worry, that’s why I’m starting simple and building up

With the lemon drizzle, Victoria sponge or cup cakes I can always use them up in trifle if they’re no good

Pastry was a bit trial and error but I’ve mastered it now and pastry isn’t too expensive for ingredients

But suffice to say, we had a lot of pastry thingies disguised with custard and alcohol, and a lot of things with crumble on top, while I practised! :scream::pie::pie:

2 Likes

Can you put a metal baking tin into the air fryer tray? I can’t find any decent instructions on what you can and can’t put in. It seems you can put foil in. I’ve roasted more than one chicken with great success. Worried about putting the wrong thing in and sparks flying around the kitchen!

1 Like