Backlash after Liz Truss accuses 'woke' civil service of antisemitism

FDA general secretary Dave Penman said Ms Truss provided “no evidence for her accusation”, which he said “goes further than the usual dog-whistle politics” of the ongoing Conservative leadership election. In a joint letter with Prospect general secretary Mike Clancy, the pair called on Ms Truss to provide examples of antisemitism to the cabinet secretary.

They said: “Unfounded allegations designed simply to generate headlines is an approach they are all too familiar with, and one they will have hoped would end with a change of prime minister. If you are able to make such serious allegations, you have a duty to ensure they are backed up with evidence. We would therefore suggest that such evidence is made available as a matter of urgency to the cabinet secretary for investigation.”

In a written statement issued after she spoke at a synagogue in Manchester, Ms Truss referred to “wokeism” in the civil service, adding: “Every organisation has its culture, but it’s not fixed, it can be changed. That’s what ministerial leadership is about: it’s about making sure that the policies we represent, the values we stand for, are reflected in what we do. I’ve been very clear with our officials about the positions we take on Israel, and that will continue if I become prime minister. So many Jewish values are Conservative values and British values too, for example, seeing the importance of family and always taking steps to protect the family unit; and the value of hard work and self-starting and setting up your own business," she said. The British Jewish community is incredibly proud of this country and so are Conservatives.”

It is understood the pledge relates to a suggestion Ms Truss needed to “overrule” Foreign Office officials who had voiced doubts about her show of support for the Israeli prime minister at the UN Human Rights Council. In an interview, she told the Jewish Chronicle she had stood alongside her “good friend” Yair Lapid, despite some in the department claiming this could lead to Britain becoming “isolated”.

WIll no-one rid us of this turbulent gobshite woman … :question:

Altogether now…

Bring back Boris
Bring back Boris
ad infinitum

HaHa … I know a few people who’d support that, but … as cuddly as he is, he a disgrace, he’s been disgraced, he’s a gonner.

This Truss woman is unbelievable. Her extremism is not what this country needs.

1 Like

On the whole, I try not to be too partisan nor fixed to any political dogma.

But this bunch of clowns are deffo taking the biscuit if they honestly think this halfwit ought to be pm.

The dirty tricks department are backing Truss because they need a patsy to blame when they plunge over the edge at the next G/Election. Anyone with eyes can see that Truss is entirely unsuitable for becoming PM.

1 Like

I made a similar point on another thread. The real irony is that Truss is too dense to see this.

1 Like

Mind you, she’ll still get a fantastic pension and probably a few bookings on the after dinner speech market.