Back at Sandringham

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2022-11-24/king-to-spend-christmas-at-sandringham-palace-confirms

1 Like

We don’t live too far away from Sandringham. The Queen usually came down on the public train and people were always surprised to see her getting off at King’s Lynn Station.

We are quite used to seeing the Royals out shopping or driving.

1 Like

bet ya didn’t spot the secret service though did ya?

Christmas without the Queen, will be strange.

She always has her Protection Officers with her.

It will be interesting to hear what the King says in his first Christmas message from Sandringham.

I wonder when the news media will drop Camilla’s formal title - I notice they nearly always refer to Camilla as “the Queen Consort” - why not just call her Queen Camilla, as all other monarch’s wives were informally called “Queen 
 “
When George VI was monarch, the media usually referred to the couple more informally as The King and Queen or King George and Queen Elizabeth.
The same goes for all the wives of previous Kings - their official title may be Queen Consort but they were generally referred to as just “Queen 
”

Even when they named ships after them, they didn’t add “Consort” into their name - e.g. Queen Mary

It sounds odd to me to - and rather begrudging.
I wonder if the media will eventually drop the emphasis on the Consort bit and just call her Queen Camilla - I believe The Times has switched to the more traditional style of calling her Queen Camilla now.
Hopefully, the rest will eventually drop this pretentious Consort styling and revert to the friendlier style used for all previous Queen Consorts.

After the Coronation it will change.

1 Like

oh to be poor royals in uk today

I did hear a report, but can’t be more specific, that Charlie had invited Harry and Meghan over for Christmas but they refused.

And that Charlie is thinking of making little Charlotte the Duchess of Edinburgh.

It’s probably me but the Royal family seem suddenly flat and dull like two dimensional cut outs with no personal charm or charisma whatsoever.

There is only one royal I respect and that is Princess Ann, all the others are just attention seekers .

I agree. She seems to be her own woman and makes her own decisions. i loved it when she named her daughter Zara which seems to be a very unroyal name. Likewise Zara has given her own kids untraditional names - Mia, Lena and Lucas. Zara is very much her own woman too marrying Mike Tindall, having her tongue pierced and wearing shorts and T shirts. I am not a fan of the royals but I like these two.

When I was a child in the 40s and 50s I had relatives who lived in a place called Dersingham where I occasionally stayed. It must have been near Sandringham because I vaguely remember seeing members of the royal family in the neighbourhood - or at least had them pointed out to me.

As an aside - My mother’s family were landed people from the Fens (she married beneath her apparently) the family home was a big place called Orchard House, again I vaguely remember being taken there. I say it was “big” but that might just be because I was a small child, however I do remember that it had tennis courts.

self-agrandizement is acknowledged occasionally - thank you bruce!

1 Like

Memories of an idyllic childhood. Might be a nursing home now.

I don’t think any family needs as many homes as the royal family has.
Let them keep Buck’nam and Winz’r sell the rest to developers.
That’d save some in taxes.
I also think Scotland would appreciate having Balmoral back :slightly_smiling_face:

Sandringham is owned personally by the Monarch.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t realise thank you
In a roundabout way though we pay for its the up-keep and staff

when all royal families around the world disappear up a puff of smoke it will be a sad bland world indeed

Balmoral is privately owned too - it is not part of the Crown Estates.

If the Monarchy was overthrown tomorrow, Charles would still privately own Balmoral and Sandringham.

yes but could he afford to run and upkeep them them?