Baby squirrels on my window ledge!

One of them was chewing the window frame this morning so I tapped on the window to tell him off! He was back 2 minutes later ro finish his apple slice.
I must be mad because they don’t like the apple peel, so I am now peeling them! :blush:

1 Like

If anybody is interested my baby squirrels still come every day and are now eating peanuts, walnuts, apple, asparagus & tender stem broccoli… but they don’t like carrots even though the experts say they do!
They are getting stronger & now able to climb some of my smaller trees, so I am hoping that if I can get them fed for a few more weeks they will be able to climb my huge oak tree and get the acorns from it.
Older squirrels will eat the fat balls that I buy for the birds, but these young ones have only nibbled tiny slices I have given them, maybe they need more fat in the cold weather, so I will keep giving them as the cold weather seems to have arrived! :grin:

1 Like

Our cats tend to eat baby squirrels.

As it is now cold my cats are not keen to go out for more than 15 mins, so they sit at the window where the squirrels are fed and watch them. Neither have shown any interest in catching them & the baby squirrels seem to know that they can’t get through the glass anyway!

1 Like

Very nice to hear all these good new about these squirrels. I am sure they have already grown a lot!

They haven’t grown much bigger, but they are eating more now it is colder. Nobody seems to know how much I should feed them, so I just put food out & then replace it when it is eaten.
They love the asparagus, so it looks like that is off the menu for me tonight! :rofl:

2 Likes

Lol these squirrels are spoiled. :wink:

I just want to help them live to be adults so they can look after themselves. They must be close to 12 weeks old now, so I am just fattening them before it gets too cold to search for food.

Gosh, they sound like they will be friends for life, Twink! Asparagus isn’t something you get on the average tree! :smiley:

Thay are not getting cashew nuts anymore, apparently it reduces their calcium levels. Their current 5 a day are asparagus, broccoli, peanuts, apples & walnuts!

1 Like

Oh I didn’t know that about their calcium levels…how strange. A nut is a nut I would have thought? But they have a great diet by the sounds of it, Twink - they’ll be the healthiest squirrels ever!

Yep. They’ll be chomping their way through those rafters in your loft in no time, at which point you’ll be into feeding them other stuff.

For those who may be interested, my baby squirrels now look like adults, but they still come every day for food.
They are so naughty because they push each other off the windowsill so they can get the most food. They can now climb big trees so are able to look for their own food, but it seems that walnuts are now their favourite meal …thank heaven Aldi always stock them!
I have been feeding them for 7 weeks now, so I think they will survive! :wink:

3 Likes

I’ll dig out my old air rifle from the loft.

Rather you than me!

2 Likes

I sneer in the face of danger.

1 Like

Well done Twink! That’s amazing! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you. They are so cheeky that they sit on the windowsill eating the nuts whilst one of my cats sits at the other side of the window watching them. There is only about 2 inches between them, but the glass keeps them safe. :smiley:
They don’t seem to be afraid even when I put my finger on the window, so I am now shutting my indoor shutters because I don’t want them to get tame …as there will always be somebody who may harm them if they do. :worried:

1 Like

Good thinking Twink. :slightly_smiling_face:

I know they are classed as vermin by many but I love grey squirrels (unless they are burying acorns in my tubs of primroses)
When I went down the lane last week there were 3 little squirrels in the lane, Pippin the puppy couldn’t believe her eyes and literally sat watching them with her mouth open :grin: