Baby squirrels on my window ledge!

Why do needy animals always come to my house?
Almost 2 hours ago one of my cats was watching 2 baby squirrels (grey ones). The cats was on the inside and the squirrels were on the outside making distressed noises & shivering. there was no mother in site. They were trying to eat blackberries, so I called a rescue centre for advice & they told me to feed them some apple or potatoes & some goats milk with plain yogurt warmed for a few seconds in the microwave.
I went back to the window to feed them, but one had disappeared & the other was terrified, so scrambled into a big bush.
I could still hear the crying & something climbing up the ivy so I looked and saw a big squirrel who must have been their mum, so I hope she has saved them both.
The rescue centre said my description sounded like they were about 10 weeks old, so not quite old enough to look after themselves, but it looks like mum has them now.
I am going to have a glass of wine!

5 Likes

Well done you. I become mum sometimes to some of the lambs here, their mothers reject them at times.

One of them is back on the window ledge eating the apple slices I put there, so I have had to shut the indoor shutters to prevent the two cats scaring it from their window cushion. I have had to put the lights on so I will send Mrs squirrel my electricity bill!
Believe it or not, I would prefer baby lambs … they are easier to catch! :rofl:

1 Like

This is adorable, Twink! Good for you, they obviously know where to get looked after :+1:

It is like Animal Hospital her Pixie! I would tell you about all the animals I have saved but it would take too long!
If I had been a vet, I would be a millionaire by now, but the real reward is seeing them safe & fed! : smiley:

2 Likes

Twink :heavy_heart_exclamation:
You’re such a wonderful Mum to all the needy animals that pass your way
The squirrels sound like they’ll be ok thankfully
I didn’t know they eat raw potatoes (and yogurt and goats milk!)
That’s quite useful to know isnt it?!

Is the milk/yogurt thing just the babies I wonder?

The rescue centre advised warmed goat’s milk with a teaspoon of yogurt for warmth… as they shouldn’t have cow’s milk!
She said they like rusks & will eat lots of fruits and veg. The adult ones also like the fat balls we put out for the birds, so as these were just a couple of weeks from being young adults, I am sure they would have eaten them crumbled.
Sadly, the majority of rescue centres are more likely to put baby grey squirrels to sleep, but to me a life is a life no matter what breed they are!

1 Like

Hi Twinks you’re obviously a very caring person ….
I believe animals can tell. X

I think lots of people are caring towards animals, but I know that many animals’ charities are being inundated with pets that people can no longer care for. All these increases to the cost of living means there are less places for wild animals, so I try to learn what they will eat and how I can keep them safe till they are able to look after themselves.
So far I have had cats, foxes, birds, baby rabbits & now squirrels! I also found a puppy that was returned ro his owners,& a deaf white cat that escaped from its garden & was just standing on the lane. I captured it & kept it in a room with food & warmth & put a notice on the school noticeboard. The following day his tearful owners came to collect him. & he is now an indoor cat. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Meet Bebert!
A frequent visitor of my sister’s garden.
Regularly popping out for breakfast. :wink:

3 Likes

He looks adorable, Mei!

1 Like

I trawled through my photos and found this little fellow. Him and his mate live in the trees at the bottom of my garden, running up and down the branches. This was taken before the trees bloomed in Spring this year.

1 Like

twink keep writing about your ‘outdoor animals’ its a good spark in these dark days! the Queen will like them!

1 Like

Lovely pic. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s a lovely story.
Keep us posted Twink. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, Mei ! The only update I can give you is that both baby squirrels keep returning to my windowsill, seem hungry & like apples! I will buy them some nuts today in the hope that they will get stronger and eventually be able to find their own food.
They like acorns, but I think they are not strong enough to climb my enormous tree & neither am I, so I will just keep helping them till they can! :smiley:

1 Like

They are very lucky to have landed in your garden. :wink:

Hi I just wanted to share the news that I now have 3 baby squirrels & they are all hungry. They are eating sliced peeled apples & conference pears, peanuts & cashew nuts. I have fed them 3 times today and they are eating everything I put out & 2 wre fighting over the cashew nuts.
Good job I went shopping today & stocked up on supplies for them. I am going to offer them some raisins tomorrow, because I think my windowsill may be their new dining room.
There has been no sign of mum! :worried:
My sister got some photos so I will post them when they get to my e mail. she has tried to send them twice today

2 Likes

Aww this is amazing Twink - although where might mum be? Do baby squirrels need their mothers milk, or do they drink water? You may have said already further up thread…I’ll go and look.

I think they may be old enough not to need milk now, but they can only have goat’s milk so looks like another shopping trip if they need it!
They are smart enough to climb into the nearby bush when I open the window to put the food out, but when it closes, they come back!

1 Like