Average house price now £270,000

Just been reading that the average house price in the UK is now £270,000.
By coincidence we noticed that our previous house went on the market today for £325,000.

We bought it in 1985 for £23,000. Four bed semi dating from 1896. We lived there for about 6 years, did some small stuff like decorating and had replacement windows put in. We sold it for £76,000 and bought a 4 bed detached house with bigger garden and a big garage/workshop just a mile or so away. We paid £80,000 for this one which was a bargain because the owners were divorcing and just wanted out. It was on the market for £96,000 but they were desperate to go their separate ways.

Ours is now in the region of £425,000 but I love it here so have no plans to move.

Well it all depends on where you live, to how much the house costs.

2 Likes

Yes, I think different areas of the country can vary wildly.
Also, strangely enough, I heard only today, that local estate agents round here are saying owners can practically ask what they want for bungalows at the mo.

The bungalow about twelve doors down from me, has just sold today, for £5,000 MORE than the asking price! How weird is that!

(Haven’t we got a quite recent thread about property prices somewhere)?

Ah, I think this is it . . . Local house prices

Of course. We live 9 miles from the coast and if our house was on the coast we would easily double the price of it.

The house I was born in on the coast sold for £625,000 2 years ago plus they paid an extra £75,000 for a small gravelled area outside so they could park. It is a tiny cottage which my parents rented and has 2 bedrooms,no garden just a triangle big enough for 2 chairs and a little table. Nowhere to extend either. It gets no sun in any room either and you need lights on most days.

Ooh, I wouldn’t like that at all, Flower. I love a room lit up by sunshine, makes me feel better for some reason. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t know about other parts of the uk, all I will say our place has gone up by £ 300,000 since we move in about 8 years ago in. Not that we want to sell or anything

1 Like

If you are prepared to wait long enough, the coast will come to you. :grinning:

1 Like

A while back I was looking at house prices in the UK in particular places that I had lived.

Funny thing is that the house I was born in in Cheltenham was the most valuable at £1.2million all the other properties paled into insignificance in comparison (that’s according to one of these online valuation sites)

Wow!!