Australia's Telstra sacks 2,800 employees

At the same time it ditches it’s current pricing model.
“Telstra will need to keep increasing mobile subscriptions or raising prices to keep growing profitability given the rest of the businesses are now such small contributors".
I have been with Telstra for most of my life but if they start price gouging I will definitely ditch them for another provider.
I received an email from them stating the changes being undertaken.
The terms and conditions explaining the changes runs to 305 pages. Who could understand or even read such gobble de gook?
I detest multi million dollar companies and how they screw over their customers.
Many of these companies can absorb losses running into the hundreds of millions of dollars in the short term before restructuring (raising prices) and trading out of their slump.

3 Likes

Looks like they are moving to AI solutions. They probably need a new pricing model that can be AI managed.

One of the happiest days of my life was over a decade ago when the NBN ran fibre into my house and I was able to tell rip off Telstra to stick their land line and its rental where the sun don’t shine.

Ironically for the last couple of years I have been using the Telstra mobile network via Boost reseller. Because of the government imposed “Universal Service Obligation” they do have the widest coverage.

This message is brought to you by them

1 Like

I’ve noticed there’s consolidation and increased collaboration between different strands of the telecommunications industry as the market shrinks due to tech shifts to AI. I’ve also inadvertently ended up moving back to a mobile provider I long since left. I predict in the future it will all cost us more as they monopolise and spread the costs across customer tariffs in a bid to recoup lost profits due to technological advancement.

2 Likes

Fortunately in Australia there is some legislation to stop them consolidating, Vodaphone (Johnny come lately) tried to force Telstra (like BT) to allow them to use their masts for their mobile phone service. I think it went to the high court which ruled the legislation valid and Vodaphone was told they had to entirely build their own network to increase competition.

We only have three networks - Telstra, Optus (rapidly catching up with Telstra) and their poor relation Vodaphone.

In many ways Australia was lucky that Telstra wasn’t the dead weight that BT was in the UK and didn’t hold back Telecommunications in this country as happened in the UK.

1 Like

We have legislation too but they are getting around the rules using collaborative arrangements

Companies shares are the property of pension funds.

Pension trustees are bound by rules to maximise returns for pension investors, such as teachers pension funds from around the world.

The only way you will get those funds to agree to lower returns is if you get the pension investors ( acting teachers / carpenters) to formally alter the Trustees mandate.

The ultra woke Church Of England mandates its pension Trustees to exceed investment returns benchmarks.

1 Like

I think that is illegal here, we have the ACCC, that would be considered price fixing which is illegal.

It is not perfect by any means but it is pretty good.