Australia - Victorian MP Georgie Purcell criticizes Nine News for ‘sexist’ image editing of her breasts and midriff

Victorian upper house MP Georgie Purcell has lashed Nine News in Melbourne for using an image edited to make her breasts look bigger and expose her midriff, which the network blamed on “automation by Photoshop”. But Adobe has cast doubt on Nine News’s claim about its software, after the network broadcast the image during Monday night’s bulletin.

The program’s news director, Hugh Nailon, apologized to the upper house Animal Justice Party MP on Tuesday for the “graphic error”, and blamed “automation by Photoshop”. “Our graphics department sourced an online image of Georgie to use in our story on duck hunting. As is common practice, the image was resized to fit our specs,” he said. “During that process, the automation by Photoshop created an image that was not consistent with the original. This did not meet the high editorial standards we have and for that we apologise to Ms Purcell unreservedly.”

But in a statement on Tuesday afternoon, a spokesperson for Adobe said use of its generative AI features would have required “human intervention”. “Any changes to this image would have required human intervention and approval,” the spokesperson said.

Purcell said she realized the image had been edited when she compared it to the original, taken in 2023. She said it had topped off the “worst” day she had since she was first elected, given the government’s decision to reject a ban on duck hunting.

“automation by Photoshop” … ?

Seems unlikely … :thinking:

1 Like

Pity it didn’t photoshop those ghastly tatoos .

3 Likes

That is awful, she has every right to be angry :rage:

And a rubbish excuse too.

How many male politicians are they saying Photoshop automatically gave bigger boobs and a bare midriff? oh wait……

No, seriously, it sounds as if some little pervy wurvy misogynist may have given the photo a tweak?

And that’s extremely disrespectful and shows how women politicians, and women in general are seen and treated and not taken seriously

1 Like

It must have been a duck hunter

If she’s not happy with her breasts, she has the opportunity to change gender if she wishes…

:rage:………….

It might be true.

She didnt say she was unhappy with her breasts.

She said she didnt appreciate her outfit or her body being photoshopped.

and she is right - it shouldn’t have been done.

Her tattoos are irelevant to this.

1 Like

Just my opinion !

I’m afraid it’s a cross we all have to bear in this age of photoshop and AI. I don’t mind being photoshopped July, it can only make me look better…
:frog:

I would object to AI or a person photo shopping me without my consent in order to make my body and my outfit look sexier.

I’m glad Channel 9 apologised - I’m sure the apology was insincere but at least they will make sure not to do it again.

1 Like

I didn’t say I liked it or agreed with it July, but you have to be a celebrity or politician to get an apology. Plebs like us wouldn’t have a chance of getting an apology. We don’t have the money to contest it.

I know you didnt.

I think possibly we would get an apology if if we were photographed in the media i n the first place and then publicly objected.

But anyway good she has objected as that sets a precedent for all of us.

1 Like