Australia is the drunkest country in the world, survey finds

I’ll drink to that! It’s your shout by the way.

The Land of Milk and Tinny. :beer: :+1:

I prefer stubbies can’t stand drinking out of a can, so uncouth.

You arrived late apparently, before the Foster Care.

Fosters is an English beer, no one drinks it here (I don’t think you can actually buy it)

God the power of advertising, what about Castlemaine?

XXXX is a Queensland beer (they couldn’t spell “beer”)

1 Like

We had the same problem with Ale, it has no place.

I like Melbourne Bitter what everyone here calls an old man’s drink.
It’s not a bitter though but lager.

I think my Tooheys New has the same reputation in NSW.

In my experience the only beer that you seem to be able to get no matter which state you are in is Carlton Draught. (I am not sure if that is a pun or not)

Yes.I’ve had it.It’s OK ish.
I think Barry Humphries started the Fosters myth.He looks more a G&T man anyway.

They may drink more, the Australians, but they are less likely than the Brits to get into a pub punch-up.

Its hard having a Pub Punch Up over here now, first, you have to prise the shutters off the windows then, you have to bring your own Beer.

1 Like

Funny you should say that. When I first came to Australia one of my early jobs was installing the PABX (phone) system in the then new St Georges Leagues Club building. I was in the club one weekend after a game at the nearby Kogarah oval and in walked a lot of St George fans immediately followed by a crowd of the opposing teams supporters (Easts I think it was). The club was packed.

My first reaction was that a big fight was about to start as would happen in the UK, instead the opposing fans welcomed each other, drank together and chatted about the game. It was a revelation, I am used to it now, sport brings people together whereas in the UK soccer seems to be the main excuse for a fight.

1 Like

I understand that Australia do spot checks on drivers, whether they have committed a driving offence, or not, and breath test them… which I applaud. :+1:
If we did that in the UK, people would be more cautious about drink driving & maybe save a few more lives.
A friend,who was driving home from Adelaide was stopped, but he had a Tracheostomy which meant he couldn’t blow, and that really confused the traffic police! They could tell he hadn’t been drinking so kindly let him continue his journey! :laughing:

It’s not too early like you alls fink…it’s me very late…maybe last even :partying_face:

2 Likes

Too many angels crying on too many tongues LOL!
FOSTER’S, IT’S LIKE AN ANGEL CRYING ON YOUR TONGUE, An Australia Trademark of Carlton and United Breweries Limited. Application Number: 440681 :: Trademark Elite Trademarks

That is true most if not all states allow random breath testing something had to be done to reduce the road toll. It is a far cry from the days when I lived opposite a pub in the city and watched people crawl out on their hands and knees, get in their car and drive off.

It is even an offence now to drink alcohol while driving even if under the limit. That was very common until the 1990s it was something my friend and I (we carpooled) would do while we drove the 10 minutes to our work at a power station. In the 1980s being drunk was considered an illness. The bloke that first showed me how to run up a 50MW turbine was so drunk he couldn’t stand up without holding onto something. Nowadays at work if there is an “incident” the first thing they do is send the people involved for a drug and alcohol test. Times have very much changed.

This was afternoon shift in the control room of a 200MW coal fired power station in the early 1980s, what we were celebrating is lost in the mists of time. BTW if you look closely you can see two cans of Fosters from the days when it was an Australian brew (something it hasn’t been for decades) The white can is Tooheys Draught renamed Tooheys New some years ago.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info Bruce! I know from your videos that there are lots of open roads with little traffic in Australia but I suspect the roads around your cities & outskirts get busy, so I hope your drink driving rules help prevent many accidents.

No-one in their right mind drinks it here either, Bruce. :laughing:

1 Like