Australia is the drunkest country in the world, survey finds

I dunno … I find this a little hard to believe.

Australians have been named the heaviest drinkers in the world after spending more time drunk in 2020 than any other nation.

3 Likes

Interestingly, while New Zealanders became intoxicated fewer times than almost any other country in the survey, getting drunk about 10 times a year, they drank more frequently than Australians, around three times a week.

Danes and Finns spent the most time drinking to excess after Australians, tied at 23.8 times a year. Americans came in third place, becoming intoxicated an average of 23 times in 2020, followed by the British (22.5 times).

Frequency of being drunk – top 10 countries

1 Australia
2 Denmark
3 Finland
4 US
5 UK
6 Canada
7 Ireland
8 France
9 Sweden
10 Netherlands

Another source says:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcohol-consumption-by-country

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Alcohol Consumption in 2019 (in liters of pure alcohol per capita):

1. Czechia - 14.26
  2. Latvia - 13.19
  3. Moldova - 12.85
  4. Germany - 12.79
  5. Lithuania - 12.78
  6. Ireland - 12.75
  7. Spain - 12.67
  8. Uganda - 12.48
  9. Bulgaria - 12.46
  10. Luxembourg - 12.45

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice… :wink:

I knew I should have emigrated when I had the chance :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

They are very good at catching drunk drivers here.On any busy main road at any time a Booze Bus will appear.And everyone is stopped and tested without warning.
(There’s also a Drugs Bus ,they’ve come up with a better name yet)

Sorry about that…

This meme never made any sense to me until now that is…

I’ll drink to that! It’s your shout by the way.

The Land of Milk and Tinny. :beer: :+1:

I prefer stubbies can’t stand drinking out of a can, so uncouth.

You arrived late apparently, before the Foster Care.

Fosters is an English beer, no one drinks it here (I don’t think you can actually buy it)

God the power of advertising, what about Castlemaine?

XXXX is a Queensland beer (they couldn’t spell “beer”)

1 Like

We had the same problem with Ale, it has no place.

I like Melbourne Bitter what everyone here calls an old man’s drink.
It’s not a bitter though but lager.

I think my Tooheys New has the same reputation in NSW.

In my experience the only beer that you seem to be able to get no matter which state you are in is Carlton Draught. (I am not sure if that is a pun or not)

Yes.I’ve had it.It’s OK ish.
I think Barry Humphries started the Fosters myth.He looks more a G&T man anyway.

They may drink more, the Australians, but they are less likely than the Brits to get into a pub punch-up.

Its hard having a Pub Punch Up over here now, first, you have to prise the shutters off the windows then, you have to bring your own Beer.

1 Like

Funny you should say that. When I first came to Australia one of my early jobs was installing the PABX (phone) system in the then new St Georges Leagues Club building. I was in the club one weekend after a game at the nearby Kogarah oval and in walked a lot of St George fans immediately followed by a crowd of the opposing teams supporters (Easts I think it was). The club was packed.

My first reaction was that a big fight was about to start as would happen in the UK, instead the opposing fans welcomed each other, drank together and chatted about the game. It was a revelation, I am used to it now, sport brings people together whereas in the UK soccer seems to be the main excuse for a fight.

1 Like