Australia has 12,000 beaches. How many does your country have?

Squeaky Beach, 3 hour drive south east of Melbourne, is famous for the acoustics created when walking on the silica and quartz sand.
Beautifully clear blue waters and good surfing makes Squeaky Beach a draw card for locals and tourists alike.
Surrounded by large granite boulders , bordered by Wilsons Promontory National Park, it is a must visit when you come to Australia.

)

5 Likes

We used to go there a lot particularly in the winter when there’s no one around.

BUT there’s this:https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/projects/eastern-victoria/wilsons-prom-revitalisation

With high visitation to the Prom, this project will help to deliver an improved visitor experience, introducing people to the wonders of the Prom in a sustainable way through new walks, accommodation options, and an upgrade to the visitor centre.

Sounds like too many people for us.

2 Likes

Not as many as you, but we have some stunning (award winning) beaches in Wales :smiley:

4 Likes

And no sharks. :grinning:

4 Likes

Too many people for me as well.
I like secluded beaches, not full of people and dogs.

1 Like

A lot of beaches here in NZ. People rarely go to the beach and when they do many people especially girls and women stay in their 4x4 SUV as beaches are usually dominated by loud, aggressive, show off predatory males. Fact is these days 95% of people prefer going to the supermarket or watch TV at home as it is safer and more enjoyable.

According to this evenings news only 150 of the 12000 are accessible by wheelchairs.

North Queensland needs you

Not that you can swim there in summer.

1 Like

What about the salties ?

That is so sad. There needs to be a change of attitude from the males.
Has this always been the case?
An advertising campaign is needed to shame this behaviour.
Campaigns such as this do work.

1 Like

I live in ireland There are almost 300 beaches dotted around the Irish coast which provide walking opportunities for visitors.
this is the rated No1 beach most beautiful beach in the world, Portsalon in Donegal

but in my eyes the nearest beach to me is what i regard as the best Lahinch beach in county clare ireland

4 Likes

We have hills, lots of them. No beaches.

1 Like

^5^5. Now I know where the All Blacks get their Stamina. :laughing:

2 Likes

According to Wiki, 1,500 in the UK. There are some rugged, and beautiful areas of coastline here.
I love the beaches of Devon and Dorset.

4 Likes

On one beach, or just a bit out at sea, A whale watched a submarine fire a torpedo and thought the submarine had just give birth

1 Like

Glad to hear that North Queensland needs me, Bruce, as I intend going there in October.

1 Like

This is presumably in proportion to the length of the coastline.

1 Like

Where I grew up in the UK the beaches were shingle (pebbles) I must say I prefer it to sand which sticks to everything, the only downside is that the water is so damn cold, whereas the water off Wollongong is still 27° this Autumn (warmer than the air temperature on days like today)

I suppose it depends if you like the surf too. I live near (ish) to Jervis Bay my son was stationed at the Naval base there a few years ago. It is supposed to have the whitest sand in the world but being a bay has no surf and is often the home for resting whales

2 Likes

There’s plenty of lovely coves in Cornwall, great for snorkeling although I haven’t done it for a long time.

4 Likes

Mega Beach. Bliss but Chilly.
Benbecula Uist Outter Hebrides 2009 (2)
Wondering IF. Still on the Albany WA police. Most Wanted posters. For nicking a pubs monster glass Ashtray. :innocent:
It was stuffed down my strides by a Bluey. :rofl:
Reward £10 POMME. One way Ticket . :wink:

2 Likes

Australias beaches are lovely but dangerous .
Not only are their sharks but some have Salt water crocodiles and the lethal Box Jellyfish , one of the most dangerous animals on the planet .

1 Like