At the risk of sounding boastful

… I am never going to buy another Yorkshire Curd Tart! It is something I had not made before today but - wow - what a difference in taste and texture from the shop bought ones, and homemade curd is so easy to do and delightfully fresh. I love curd tarts and will definitely make my all own in future.

Sorry for bragging - will go and sit on the naughty step for half an hour!!

6 Likes

I hope you’ve made enough for us all to test out, Tabby? :wink:

1 Like

Of course, Mags, I’ll email you some!

1 Like

Meanwhile - here’s a photo!

curd tart

7 Likes

Recipe please

1 Like

Mmmmm…… that looks delicious! :yum:

1 Like

Looks amazing! Now I’m hungry. :yum:

1 Like

Get out of that corner . Nothing like homemade as far as I’m concerned as it’s not mass produced and made with love. :heart:

1 Like

No, a tuffet is what one sits upon to eat curds, and whey, if you have any. :thinking:

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

'Oi, who had the big missing slice? :smiley:

1 Like

Certainly:-

Ingredients:

For the curds - 1 x Unwaxed Lemon, 2 x pints full fat milk.

For the pastry - 140g Plain flour, pinch of baking powder, 85g butter, 1 x teaspoon caster sugar (optional)

For the filling - 200g Curds, 50g unsalted butter, 50g caster sugar, 2 x medium eggs, 25g currants, zest of one unwaxed lemon.

Method

Make the curds the night before. Scald (don’t boil) 2 x pints of milk, stir in 4 x tablespoons lemon juice - keep the lemon skins for later. Turn off the heat and gently stir until the curds form. Strain overnight through muslin or a clean tea towel. Keep the whey for making scones.

Make the pastry in the usual way and let it rest in the 'fridge for about 20 mins. Roll it out and line a 20cm pie/flan tin. Cover the bottom with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Blind bake for 15 mins at gas mark 4, then remove baking beans and return to oven for a further 5 mins.

Make the filling by beating together the sugar and butter until soft and fluffy. Beat the eggs and add to the mixture a little at a time. Add the curds and stir gently, add the currants. Grate the zest from the lemon skins and stir into the mixture. Pour into the pie/flan case and bake at gas 4 for 35/40 mins. Allow to cool - enjoy!

2 Likes

I emailed a slice to Mags and one to you!

Hah, thank you. And there’s me here thinking you’d ate it. :laughing:

1 Like

Just received mine, thanks Tabby, it’s mouthwateringly delicious! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Ah, that takes me back to my youth!
My Great Aunt was a professional cook and a great cookery teacher - she made the most delicious Yorkshire Curd Tarts. She taught me all aspects of cookery when I was a kid, including making Curd Tarts - we always made scones on the same day, using the whey from the strained curds.
I have many happy memories of Yorkshire High Tea on Saturdays at my Great Aunt’s house - roast ham & poached eggs with home-made brown bread & butter, followed by buttered Scones and Yorkshire Curd tarts, with a bit of fruit cake or Victoria Sponge to finish off - us kids must have had hollow legs! :joy:

1 Like

As if I would!!!

@Boot - that all sounds delicious, Boot.

Why did the apple crumble? because it saw the lemon tart :rofl:

Ohh this looks delicious, Tabby! (And you only want to go and sit on the naughty step so you can have it all to yourself! :joy: )

1 Like

That’s why I suggested she would be better sitting on a tuffet. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes