Aren't you glad now that we left the EU?

@Bruce, Of course, unlike piss & wind ??

I donā€™t know why you are bringing the British Parliament into it.

1 Like

Never been glad, more relieved.

There were a few lame ducks.

And leaving made us the biggest lame duck of all, diminished lives, inflicted by those that voted Brexit

Thereā€™s nothing whatsoever to be glad about, so Iā€™m not

But I am livid with those who dragged us out

1 Like

A Lame Duck can be supported, or a Lame Duck can float on without support, depends which duck is being fished for at the Fair.

One would have thought that those who didnā€™t stop it are equally to blame. Those that didnā€™t vote, those that didnā€™t fully explain the pitfalls, those that didnā€™t expose the lies nor dispel the myths etc etc. Their arrogant complacency did just as much damage.

3 Likes

Yes, but what else floats? It is not only lame ducks.

Itā€™s a fair Cop!! :boxing_glove:

Your lack of belief in democracy says it all.

It didnā€™t go your way, so it must be wrong!

Not worthy of further comment.

2 Likes

A wicked and terrible decision made democratically is still a wicked and terrible decision. Especially when itā€™s as a result of populists whipping up hatred and snake oil salesmen peddling solutions that could never work

The whole point about democracy is that terrible decisions can be reversed

If Iā€™m with a group of 10 people and 6 of them vote to steal my IPhone, then that may well be a democratic decision but Iā€™m sure as hell not going to let it happen without a fight :rofl:

And supposing in the future the majority of the population vote for the death penalty for being gay, will you go along with that too?

1 Like

The voice of the people for which there is no accounting, there is an alternative and we all know want that is.

Iā€™m sorry (not sorry) but if the voice of the people voted for something I consider immoral, wicked, cruel or wrong ( not just Brexit) then Iā€™m never going to go along with it in the name of democracy

The alternative to democracy may well be dictatorship and tyranny.

But if you are one of a minority whose rights are abused by the tyranny of the majority, then does it makes much difference which tyrants are dictating to you? Iā€™m not talking Brexit here, which is a mild example, but in general?

And if we think something is wrong, democratically decided or not, then I think we have a responsibility to try to stop it or put it right

And the minority is still entitled to have their voice heard, their human rights and needs considered and respected and their opinions taken into account

In the case of Brexit it was such a tiny majority that a dictatorship by them, harming those who would have preferred to Remain, is doubly offensive

Hitler was voted in democratically.

Pure democracy is unworkable because uninformed people vote and can be influenced by those who are pursuing self interest.

2 Likes

There were two non-democratic aspects to the Brexit vote. The first is your point about uninformed and possibly influenced people not fully grasping the implications of their vote, whichever way it was. This is why most referendums place a hurdle higher than 50%, usually 55%, to make it clearer that a true majority want the result they voted for and to prevent unresolved debate afterwards.
The second aspect is the vote was unbalanced. On one hand it was remain in the EU, as it is, as we know it, specifically how it works today. (Of course, what else could the remain vote be?) The leave option was utterly undefined. Not a single person could have known the nature and extent of the leave and the future EU relations. That allows people to imagine their own version - there were by definition of this multiple versions that lent more likelihood of support to leave.
So I very much dispute this frequent but false claim about democracy being done.

3 Likes

Funnily enough, that was how we went in, in the first place.

We thought it was one thing, and it was morphed into something much different.

And there we were trapped!

2 Likes

Europe was our finest hour.

1 Like

Well, we did co-colonise!

We were up there in the top 3, laying down the law on bananas & cucumbers.