Are you sick of UK politicians and the UK political system?

Isn’t the tweet you quoted actually saying that Dutch farms are going strong and have community support?

Hardly evidence to support all their farms being closed down. Governments threaten all sorts of things to try to get their own way, I recall the UK government constantly threatening to withdraw from Brexit negotiations but did they?

The Netherlands still have a far greater population density than the UK and a farming industry with community support so you can hardly claim to be overpopulated. Perhaps Britain’s problem is actually just bad management?

1 Like

Another factor that really does need to be considered is that the UK population is old and getting, on average, older. This means there are more people in retirement age and, as a consequence, fewer people of a working age to fill vacancies and key jobs. Plus the increasingly old need care and that means they need carers. So there is a desperate need for more people to come to the UK to fill these roles. Conjuring up an idea that the UK is over-populated, which it isn’t, is simply not addressing the bigger issue of shortage of workers.

1 Like

Ask and you shall, partly, receive:

Ok, its not all the breakdown you wanted but clearly such data is readily found with a quick search. Nonetheless the key bit from this article (for me) are
To be in the top 10% you need to be earning £60k or more.
To be in the top 5% it means earning £82k +
Top 1% is 182k+
Between 2010-21 wealth in the UK rose by £4trilion, but 25% went to just the top 1%. Their wealth increased 31 times more in that period than everyone else. Shocking.
But (surprise) 60% of people who earn £80k-100k think they are “average earners”!

1 Like

Thanks for this.
Yes I am aware of there being a spread of income and circumstances
that’s why I asked.
I guess the details of how the top 10% are taxed would be needed and where that tax goes would be fair to know too.
How the so called bottom 50% survive would be interesting.
I would imagine the bottom 50% would not survive with out the NHS so calls for its abandoment would be scary to say the least.
Then those in the middle probably feel agrieved at the top 20% wealth and held back by the lower 30% reliance on benefits and NHS.
Its a complex challenge

And another factor is the unprecedented number of people unable to work due to sickness, that’s what happens when a government deliberately runs down the health service with a view to privatise it.

I suspect that the tax for the majority of top 10% and even top 5% is pretty much PAYE rates. There will be quite a few small business owners here as well. But the top 1% band will likely be more difficult to find details on tax payment. Many won’t be simply salaried and could be taking their earnings as directors dividends (I think about 35% tax at the top end rather than 45% for PAYE). That is, they are paying less tax than someone on PAYE and NI.
Also, the numbers shown are top 10%, 5% and 1% of earnings and not wealth. There will be a fair number at the top end who take money from their wealth, taxed as capital gains or something other than PAYE, and thus paying less tax for the earnings they take. In short, if you want to be able to access tax efficiencies you need to have lots of money. Everyone just has to cough up.

1 Like