Are You Confident

What does that mean even?

Are you a confident person?

I think confidence can be mistaken for arrogance and being cocky.

What does confidence mean to you?

I had no confidence as a young person, it has taken me years to grow in confidence, how about you?..:grin:

I lacked so much confidence as a younger woman , I was afraid of authority also felt unworthy if I went for a job interview I was very nervous and honestly never felt good enough . But I have learned ( since living alone) I am worthy and I am good enough just as I am . Iā€™ve also seen where I made wrong decisions in my life yet know they have made me the person i am today. I wish i was the person i am today when young i would have had an easier and better life

1 Like

In my younger years I was never confident, my nerves ruled my life for many years and I suffered horrendous panic attacks and anxiety. I especially lack confidence in anything classroom based such as courses and I do know why. I had a Maths teacher who picked on me something shocking in School and he sapped any confidence I might have had, I was hopeless at Maths and instead of concentrating on teaching me how to do them he chose to concentrate on picking on me.

As an older woman I am more confident outwardly but inwardly Iā€™m still quite nervous at times, definitely more confident than in my younger years.

1 Like

The very first time I had to give a presentation I was sweating bricks for hours beforehand. Just before I started my presentation, the CEO asked me to give a brief rĆ©sumĆ© of my career because Iā€™d only recently joined the company. This totally floored me and completely wrecked what little confidence I had managed to scrape together. Fortunately, my line manager got me out of the crap and I did my 30mins but Iā€™m certain those on the front row could hear my knees aknocking :lol:

I never really got over this but having made many technical presentations over the years, it did get much easier and sometimes I would even give presentation without very much preparation - very much seat-of-the-pants jobs.

1 Like

Confidence to me means that I am comfortable talking to anybody, whether it is the Queen or a poor homeless person. I show all people respect , but if it isnā€™t returned I will walk away rather than start a battle. I enjoy debates but make an effort not to criticize others who think differently.
I went to a good school where I learned a lot more that the 3 Rs & feel that the good manners I learned there mean that people are happy to talk to me.
We are all nervous at times, especially when we are young, but I feel good manners & the ability not to rudely argue, means people are prepared to listenā€¦ and that really boosts your confidence!

1 Like

Iā€™m not really sure.

1 Like

Iā€™m not confident and Iā€™m quite shy but over the years Iā€™ve learned how to act as if I am confident and it seems to convince most people, including me!

2 Likes

EZ what arenā€™t you sure about?

Sorry Twink my my finger flagged your post ,wasnā€™t meant . sometimes my finger twitches .

Donā€™t worry Eliza, my fingers frequently hit the wrong buttons! :laughing:

1 Like

I have always been quite confident ā€¦ have to admit I seem to have lost that a bit since I retiredā€¦ I donā€™t mean I have lost confidence chatting to people or dealing with them but having the confidence to make decisions and be sure about themā€¦ not so sure

I remember once a few years ago an older pal who has since died (bless her) commented that since she retired she lost all confidence in what suited her and shopping was a nightmare ā€¦ at the time I thought that was a bit weird but I can understand it now.

3 Likes

I too have always been quite shy from a young age.
Looking back at how gorgeous I was late teens and in to my 20s I wonder if I missed a trick!
But heyā€¦ I am meā€¦ early shyness included. Teaching taught me how to be a confident speaker and parenting gave me contentment and an inner confidence that I lacked as a youngster but sometimes I know that the ā€˜awkwardā€™ me still shines through. I have been ok with that for a good 10 years or more now though.
As one gets older one worries less about ā€œappearancesā€. I canā€™t change who I am, so I have grown in to my own skin and am happy to be the person I am. I am more than other peopleā€™s first impressions of me. Those who get to know me properly are friends for life and the adoration is nearly always mutual. I donā€™t waste time on people Iā€™m unsure about or wary/suspicious of.
Whatā€™s that quote?
ā€œYou canā€™t please all of the people all of the time
but you can please some of the people, some of the timeā€ :grin:

1 Like

Yes,thatā€™s the secret isnā€™t it.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally, No. Iā€™m really very shy unless I get to know you :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Work wise - yes! I fake it until I make it!

1 Like

I donā€™t really know. :thinking:

Many things give confidence upbringing is one .
Supportive loving parents must be one factor but they can only demonstrate what they possess themselves .
Good looks is also a plus . Sadly the world judges on looks and an undeniably attractive people get more positive attention which gives them confidence .
Ability is another .
If someone is good at something they gain confidence .
Money is also a confidence giver well off people tend to be confident .
Am I right ?

Do you need someone to agree with you?
Beauty can also be a curse,getting unwanted attention doesnā€™t instill confidence I would think.I wouldnā€™t know about that myself.I agree with your other points.

Not no more, tend not to confide (or PM). :walking_man: :biking_man:

I donā€™t agree .
There is a direct correlation between physical attractiveness and confidence attractive people just do well generally eg in job interviews