Are you a Swifty?

I don’t know anything about Taylor Swift. Every once in a while, I hear about something she’s done that’s in the news. I don’t listen to her music unless it’s in the background somewhere.

I keep reading about how she has a massive fan base around the world. She’s at the top of the charts in the UK. I’m guessing she is in the US as well.

Just by the statistics, although this forum probably isn’t her demographic, there must be some Swiftys here.

Are you a Swifty?

• Yes, I’m a Swifty
  • No, not a Swifty
0 voters
1 Like

I think she is a singer - maybe an actress?
Anyway, something in the entertainment business I think and I presume she has a fairly high public profile in USA because the only thing I know about her was picked up from a thread on this site about USA political divisions.

I saw a news article about how some ignorant people who are supporters of Trump (do they call themselves MAGA?) were attacking Ms Swift and smearing her name with fake stories - these ignorant people were doing this because Ms Swift publicly supported Joe Biden in the last Presidential Election.
It seems these ignorant besmirchers are either still bent on vengeance for her past support of the President who beat Trump in the last election or they are afraid that Ms Swift will support Biden again in the next election and they believe her voice is powerful enough to persuade voters to vote as she recommends them to.
Either way, it sounds a low and ignorant thing to do - but that is the way Trump encourages his supporters to behave - they are just following his lead.

1 Like

Definitely a Swifty here and will probably go to her concert soon. :wink:
I work with teenagers so you can be sure that wherever there is Taylor Swift, Shakira, Lady Gaga, etc… we are all on for a party. The kids love Taylor Swift who started to write her own songs and music at age 14 as she can play a few instruments very well. She is extremely gifted.

1 Like

I went through a taylor Swift phase back in the noughties. One of my happiest memories is dancing to Taylor swift with my God daughter (who was then a kid) in their kitchen back in 2009 or thereabouts - she was also a swifty. I think it was one of the songs from the Fearless album. Totally love that album. (I was a very young fortysomething back then!) I have no idea what she has done since.

It might have been this song we were dancing to, but not sure

Or may have been this

Fantastic memories just listening to these

2 Likes

Definitely - I really don’t understand the hate she receives.

1 Like

Nice to see some Swiftys here. Maybe we’ll see more of her music floating around the threads. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of her but that’s about it.

1 Like

My great niece is a big Taylor Swift fan, mostly for that reason I listen to some of her songs :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I could not name a single song of hers tbh.

1 Like

I don’t know her songs but she’s pretty and Trump is jealous of her,so that’s OK

I was thinking about a song of Taylor’s that I really like and just realised it was actually Kelly Clarkson’s Because of you & nothing to do with Taylor. I think it’s about her dad. But I was into Kelly about the same time as Taylor Swift. Not sure what’s happened to her. Will have a look on google. Music is very healing.

Taylor Swift is certainly one of the major music artists of our time. I’ve listened to her recordings on the radio pop charts for over 20 years. While she’s not one of my favorites, she is world wide known, and very well thought of.
Here are a few of her awards and accomplishments.

Taylor Swift breaks Elvis Presley’s record for most weeks at No 1 on US album chart

The 34-year-old singer has now toppled the King’s record to become the solo artist with most weeks topping the Billboard album chart

Mon 1 Jan 2024 00.36 EST

Taylor Swift has broken Elvis Presley’s long-held record for most weeks spent No 1 on the Billboard album chart as a solo artist, setting a new record of 68 weeks.
Swift’s album 1989 (Taylor’s Version) reached top spot on the US album chart for a fifth time in the final week of 2023. While the 34-year-old now holds the record as a solo artist and is second overall, she has a while to go to challenge overall record holders the Beatles, whose albums have spent 132 weeks at the top of the Billboard album chart.

Presley’s 67 weeks at No 1, for albums spanning 1956 to 2002, puts him in second place among solo artists and third among all acts. His longest-running No 1 album was the Blue Hawaii soundtrack, which spent 20 weeks in the spot from 1961-62. Four of his 10 No 1 albums were soundtracks: Loving You, GI Blues, Blue Hawaii and Roustabout.

2019 Alibaba 11.11 Global Shopping FestivalSHANGHAI, CHINA - NOVEMBER 10: American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift performs on stage during the gala of 2019 Alibaba 11.11 Global Shopping Festival at Mercedes-Benz Arena on November 10, 2019 in Shanghai, China. (Photo by Zhang Hengwei/China News Service/VCG via Getty Images)
Why Taylor Swift and Scooter Braun’s bad blood may reshape the industry
Read more

Swift holds the record for the most albums to debut at No 1 consecutively, with 13: a feat achieved due to her decision to rapidly re-record and release all of her albums after her former talent manager, Scooter Braun, acquired her old record label, Big Machine Records, and subsequently the rights to all the master recordings for her music.

She is also the first living artist to chart five albums in the Top 10 simultaneously, a feat Prince only achieved after his death in 2016.

In July Swift broke a record set by Barbra Streisand to become the female artist with the most No 1 albums in history, with the release of Speak Now (Taylor’s Version).

The Beatles still hold the record for the most No 1 albums overall with 19, followed by Jay-Z with 14 and Swift with 13. Presley and Swift are currently tied for the most No 1s in a single year, both having had three in a single year twice – Presley in 1957 and 1961 and Swift in 2021 and 2023.

Elvis and Swift also have Nashville in common

1 Like

Both Elvis and Taylor were pop artists, not really into the Nashville scene, or country music, except that Elvis’s home, Graceland, is located in Memphis, Tennessee.

Taylor Swift announced the release of her 11th album at the Grammy’s. It’s called The Tortured Poets Department. She says it will be released in April.

Only know from what is in the news, however, she seems to be quite generous in donating to worthwhile organizations and causes.

1 Like

For Swifties only:

To settle the Nashville argument:

She could have been a stockbroker

Despite cultivating a down-to-earth, folksy persona when she moved to Nashville to further her early career, Swift is descended from three generations of bank presidents and grew up in a wealthy middle-class family in the suburbs of Pennsylvania.

Her mother worked in finance and her father was a stockbroker, and Swift had assumed that she would follow in her family’s footsteps.

However, her true passion was music, particularly country and western, and she was just 14 when her whole family relocated to Nashville, the ‘capital of country music’.

It turns out that Taylor Swift didn’t need to become a stockbroker to make big money. In Nashville, Swift juggled schooling with songwriting and eventually released her eponymous debut album in 2006, aged 16.

It spent 24 weeks at number one in the country music chart but also reached no.5 on the US Billboard chart and was the longest charting album for the whole of the Noughties, overtaking Shania Twain’s ‘Come On Over’.

This wasn’t just a symbolic passing of the baton, but a milestone in Swift’s fortunes as – thanks to writing all her own songs – her net worth reached $4m.

2 Likes