Are You A Bargain Hunter

Well, are you?

Do you ever go down the aisles in supermarkets looking for food that has its sell by date nearly up?

Tell me how you go about looking for a bargain?:grinning:

I don’t bother about food items being reduced in price because I mostly shop at discount stores anyway. I do buy some of my clothes during sales campaigns, though.

1 Like

Apparently, it has become very trendy to buy food that has been reduced

1 Like

Mind you, it’s a good idea, imo, as you can buy a load of reduced food, then freeze it ,…it’s finding out when Tesco reduce the sell by date ones…I might ask one of the shop assistants.

I don’t know about reduced food items, I don’t think we do that.

But Ms d00d can tell you where to get the best-value-for-money bananas: Waitrose, Lidl, Tescos, Sainsburys, the Arab shop, the stall outside the Tube Stn.

And the answer is Lidl. The bloke outside the tube is cheaper but the goods are damaged.

1 Like

Yes definitely. Some of my favorite places to shop are thrift stores and pawn shops. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Same here. The last time I bought any clothes was 5-6 months ago. Charles Tyrwhitt was doing his best checked shirts £40 reduced to £20. I bought two.

1 Like

Really? I find that a bit weird, that searching for food that might not be edible the next day, is thought of as ‘Trendy.’
I realise food safety depends on what sort of food it is of course, and also how it’s been stored too, but I would never buy food just because it was a knock-down price and on its last legs.
I must be getting old. :grinning:

1 Like

I’d imagine it would be ok to freeze the food.

1 Like

The only time I have bought food like that, was some ‘fresh’ chicken for one of the dogs, but I cooked it as soon as I got home.

In the main, I would prefer to freeze food when it’s at it’s peak of freshness, and anything almost out of date I bought, I would prefer to cook straighaway - then freeze it, depending on what it was of course.
I mean things like meat to make casseroles and such. I’d made the dishes first, then freeze it all.

Having Campylobactor once, has perhaps made me too wary.

2 Likes

I am a bargain hunter, not for food, but for anything else.
I love buying ‘stuff’.

2 Likes

No I’m not I try and not buy stuff at all if I can help it .
I want to get rid of stuff not buy more !
Having said that bought a lovely gardening book yesterday for £2 from a second hand bookshop .

3 Likes

We only buy yellow tagged food items if they are what we would normally eat or something we would like to try.

2 Likes

What’s yellow tagged food items, Percy?

I have a friend who does this. He even freezes ham. I’m sure he saves tons of money. There is a whole excited crowd when tesco does the reductions. It’s like a piranha fest.

1 Like

Food items with yellow stickers on them because they’re close to or on their sell by date.

1 Like

Apparently there is an app you can download which tells you where there will be reduced food for those in food poverty group. It was mentioned on LBC yesterday. I’m not sure whether you have to satisfy certain criteria.

1 Like

That’s a bit different though, Annie.
Raiding the Reduced shelves for shopping when you can easily afford normal prices, just leaves nothing for those who genuinly can’t pay alot for their food.

2 Likes

That’s very true imo, I know a woman who is extremely wealthy, yet, she does just that.:-1:

I do look for bargains but if there’s nothing going I don’t worry. Lidl do a a section where stuff is really reduced as it’s on it’s sell by date. I recently bought 2kg of lovely chicken breasts for £2.50. I used 2 that night and froze the rest. They would have cost about £10. I find Tesco don’t reduce their produce very much.