Are There Any Recipes That You Would Never Attempt To Try? ie. Baked Alaska?

I have never made, or attempted to make a Baked Alaska!
I would be scared the ice cream would melt in the oven and run out everywhere!

Are there any recipes you would never attempt to make? Or even ones that were such a disaster, you’d never make them again?

I am quite adventurous in the kitchen but there are a few things I would not try - especially if they involved sprouts, tripe, snails, frogs legs, brie or other such like disgusting (to my palate) ingredients !

Baked Alaska looks scary - but is actually quite easy!

ST. Have you made one? If you have, then you’re very brave!

Yes; anything with ingredients that have different cooking times. I prefer to put everything in one pan or dish, and forget about it until it’s ready. :man_cook:

Mmmmn, That sounds enterprising and exciting!! :laughing:

I know it isn’t really very enterprising, but, when it comes to meal times, I’m not really looking for excitement. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe, that is something missing from your life? Spice it up and try making a Baked Alaska!

I’m not sure I want a baked Alaska, Arty. :slightly_smiling_face:

I once attempted to make gnocci, (the potato type not semolina). I don’t know what I did wrong, but I was boiling the little dumplings and they grew and they grew, joined together and carried on growing, out of the pan, down the cooker and onto the floor. It reminded me of some half remembered fairy tale. I just stood there crying, (in my defence I was young and it was for a "special " meal), watching this expanding alien like mass threatening to take over the kitchen.

I think I might have created a new life form.

I have never attempted to make it since.

3 Likes

Maver-rik, That is so funny! I know it wasn’t funny for you though!!

2 Likes

@Maver-rik
Ladybird-Book-The-Magic-Porridge-Pot

Did you know that you can pan fry Gnocchi? Not just boil it. Its nice and crispy outside and soft & gooey inside. Yum!

2 Likes

Thank you for finding the fairy tale for me.

1 Like

I’ve never made souffle, but then I don’t like it much so not tempted to try

I wouldn’t like to do a whole hog roast outside on a spit! :pig2:

And I’ve never tried to make puff pastry, I bet it wouldn’t work for me and I’d end up with a mess so I just use frozen

I always meant to try making those little French macarons but that does look difficult

That really made me chuckle! But I’m sure it wasn’t funny at the time :wink:

I’ve never had the courage to try a soufflé - all that precision timing and gentle handling or it would deflate.

Conversely a Baked Alaska is really quite simple to do. I used to make them often when the kids were young, a nice easy dessert, which never failed to delight! The trick is to use block ice-cream that is frozen very hard.

Yes - before lock down though - haven’t done a recent one. Kept looking at it through the glass door on the oven ready to dive in and rescue it if need be - but it was fine.

Nor me Harbel . It’s food I eat it preferably when it’s cooked by someone else .
Tonight it’s me I am doing prawn stir fry .
I have never tried to cook Beef Wellington .

1 Like

All I require is something to keep body and soul together without making me turn up my nose when I see it on the plate. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have made Baked Alaska, many years ago.
I was worried the ice cream may melt but it didn’t!

I used to love trying out new recipes when I had a husband and kids at home to eat it. If I was going to use a new and tricky looking recipe to serve at a dinner party, I often used to try it out on the family first, to make sure it worked out OK before cooking it for guests.
They enjoyed being my Guinea pigs!

I’m a veggie but I used to cook meat and fish for other people and I would have a go at cooking most things but I draw the line at having anything to do with shellfish.

I have never cooked or prepared lobster, crab, mussels, prawns or any creatures of that type and I would never want to.

I cannot bear to walk past a tank in a food shop and see live lobsters inside, with their legs bound together. I certainly couldn’t stick a sharp knife into a lobster’s brain to kill it or chuck it alive in a pot of boiling liquid.

I’ve done baked Alaska too and it was ok…I’m not keen on soft meringue though so ìts not a favourite