Are there any legal ways to remove a party or govt in power in the UK?

Does anyone know what the legal routes are for getting a UK govt/party removed from power?

Surely there are mechanisms, where, if the people of a country are so sick and tired of a party in power they can be removed? It seems to me that currently a very strong majority want the tories out, how can that be done legally by the people of this country?

As far as I know, apart from a General Election, the only legal way to get rid of the current Government is through a Parliamentary vote of no confidence -

but if there is another legal way, I’d be all for trying it!

2 Likes

BUT. Whoever you vote for the government always get in.

They only get 3 years here in Oz.

1 Like

The only thing is who to put in their place .
Labour is no longer the party of the working man .
Keir Starmer is being scuppered by his own party
We need a new party and a charismatic leader with the best interests of the people of this country at heart .

3 Likes

We need truly Independent MP’s free from party whips when voting.

3 Likes

Well we have just celebrated the Gunpowder plot, it might not be altogether legal, but it might work…
:boom:

3 Likes

It just ain’t simple as it used to be, so much has changed.

1 Like

Four fundamental failings in the UK. No defined constitution. No fair voting representation. An unelected upper chamber. An obscure mechanism for bringing new laws / changes into debate in parliament (who can raise ideas for parliamentary debate? Lower chamber? Upper chamber? The executive? Individuals?) The UK is close to a banana republic.

2 Likes

You are looking at the top down, try looking from the bottom up.

1 Like

And the actual leader of the country is not elected by the people.
They can vote for their party but have no say in it’s leadership.

2 Likes

Personally I view that as an advantage, the leader doesn’t have to be a short term populist (well, yes I know they often are). If you don’t like their selection you can throw the whole lot out in three years.

Likewise if Australia becomes a republic I hope the replacement for the Governor General is not elected but selected, perhaps by a joint sitting of Parliament.

1 Like

Hi

There is a theoretical way to do it.

All Laws do not come into force until they receive Royal Assent.

The Monarch could refuse to sign any new Laws.

Parliament can be suspended, Boris tried to get the Queen to do that to try to force his Brexit Deal through.

She refused.

The Monarch is the only person who can appoint a Prime Minister, they can choose who they want.

All this is theoretical, and some disagree that these powers are subject to challenge.

It is all theoretical as Charles simply would not do it.

Whilst it is not that long until the next election Labourare, as usual, ripping them selves apart again.

They seem to forget that to change things you have to be in power with a large majority.

I’m wondering why the people dont gather together in their thousands and walk through London shutting the city down just like 11th November , yet in peaceful solidarity to show the government how they have let England and the british people badly down . This would be an embarrasment to those who should be supporting and putting this country first and foremost .

Yet we dont

4 Likes

People are too busy fiddling with their smartphones or watching boxed sets on netflix Susan…

2 Likes

Well you could try and find enough reasons for many recall petitions. The criteria are (from wiki)

• Any custodial prison sentence, even if suspended. (A sentence longer than one year would lead to automatic removal under the Representation of the People Act 1981.)

• A conviction for providing false or misleading expenses claims.

• Suspension from the House of at least 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days, following a report by "any [committee of the House of Commons]

You would need to replace at least 28 to reduce the majority to zero then force a vote of no confidence.